How do you hook your big big bait?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by kickin_wing, Jun 27, 2006.

1. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I usualy fish for flatheads with bait that is 3 or 4 in. or use a shad or gill head or somthin like that. But what i want to know is when you use bait like 6 in. live gills or live drum how do you hook them up? It would make sense to me to use 2 hooks or else every time you get a bite it wuold just be grabbing or pulling off your bait because it never got the hook. How would you set a rig up to use 2 hooks and were would you hook the second hook?

2. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I am not sure how you could rig up 2 hooks. I have used large perch, 6 to 8" long and just hooked them on the tail side of their dorsal fin pretty shallow, and don't seem to have a probelm with fish getting the hook. Bullhead I hook through the bottom lip, same with bass, crappie, channel cat, or any other "game" fish I am not supposed to be using for bait. That way if I get caught, they can not prove that I am using them for bait.:big_smile:

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I hook them slightly thru the back, under the dorsal fin.

4. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ill have to give it a try thanks.

5. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Behind the dorsal fin, or through the nose, the lips or the eyes.

6. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Another method that works for some people is through the eyes. Believe it or not, they will stay alive quite a while hooked this way.

If I am not really trying for casting distance I'll do this. If I am trying to throw it a long ways... Through a nostril. plenty of bone holding it on.

7. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    on small bait i do use a single circle hook through the back or through the upper lip. for large bait i.e. 6in+ blue gills, suckers, drum, rock bass, i use two hooks. the rig i use is a modified quick strike rig more commonly used for muskie. i started using this because like your comment, i was having issues with fish missing the hook. with this rig, i have a circle hook that i put through the upper lip of said large fish, and a treble hook which is inserted either behind the dorsal fine or under it, which ever you prefer and can get the hook to stay in the bait. my hooking percentage has gone up tremendously and i've caught fish on both the circle and the treble hook. if you'd like a detailed explination of the rig i've been using or a picture, feel free to message me. good luck.
    nin

8. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I use 6-12 inch Shad, and bluegill whenever I can. I use the bigger baits and catch less channels that way. I catch plenty of 3-6lb channel on 3-4 inch baits, usually 6lb and larger with an 8-12 inch bait. The way I look at it is if a 6 lb channel can fit a 6 inch bait in their mouth, how big a bait can a 20 lb fish grab? if they want it, they'll take it.

PS You know you got something when the clicker starts going on a 9 inch plus bait!

9. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.