How do you hook live bait???

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by ArmyCatfish, Feb 2, 2008.

How do you hook live bait???

1. Through bottum jaw and into top jaw

2. Through the eyes

3. Middle of the back

4. Tail

5. Other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    ive always gone up through the bottum jaw and into the upper lip. i dont know if this is the way most people go or not so lets see.

2. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I hook in two different ways:

Mostly Behind the Dorsal Fin or just though the back. :0a23:
    :wink:

3. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    i go half way into the tail and main body,i dont get to close to main body cuz they will die to fast.

4. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    In heavy current I like to hook 'em through the hard gristle around their nostrils, so that the water will push over their gills and they won't drown. If the water isn't too fast I like behind the dorsal fin. I try to stay away from the tail , I want them lively as possible. I'm gonna experiment putting out a couple poles with peg floats on my leader w/ live bait this year.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Large minno
    ws and shiners,I hook through both lips. Gills ,I hook either through the lips or just above the lateral line behind the dorsal.

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Same way that I do it. Just depending on if its a lake or river, heavy current or slow current.

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    In good current I hook them thru the nose. Usually in the roof of their mouth and out between the eyes. If I hook them thru the bottom jaw and out the top of the head they can't open their mouth and most likely will die. I also will hook them just off center and out the side just above the jaw. Lets smaller mouthed fish close their mouth in that heavy current.

For slack current or float fishing I go behind the dorsal fin or directly center of the back.

8. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I try to put the hook in the mouth and up through a nostril. Something about wiring their mouths completely shut (thru both lips) bugs me. Just seems they might breath better that way with the ability to open their mouths. Besides that I want them to be able to yell for help LOL!

I seem to have livelier bait and less chance of my hook turning back into the bait this way, although I may try a stinger or trailer hook this year if I am not too lazy lol!

9. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    You beat me to it. Great minds think alike! lol!

10. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I hook all my bait through the back behind the dorsal fin, just has always worked for me, though hooking them through the mouth in fast current makes sense to me.

11. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    although I may try a stinger or trailer hook this year if I am not too lazy lol!

I was also thinking about using a stinger hook when using big (12"+) live baits. Just this last november i had a big bass hooked in the back with a 10ought hook....he soaked for about an hour n a half until rod started bouncin a bit......then my clicker started sounding slow n steady. The rod loaded up nicely then i set back and felt he hook come right out of the bass. Maybe if i had a stinger i would of reeled in a nice flathead. Maybe the main hook through the nostrils with the stinger hook delicately hooked behind the dorsal would do the trick.

12. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    just beneath the dorsal fin for me.

13. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    just under the dorsal fin...half way back and not too deep

14. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    mariofish
    the way i hook is let the dogs out

15. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i hook mine the same way sometimes if i use bluegill or goldfish ill hook in the back

16. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    usually i hook my live bait through the tail. bluegill i will hook in the nostrils. it just varies on the bait i'm using.

17. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    No, wrong hooker. One of us types. Anyway, I tend to hook bluegills or small
    carp like critters shallow above the spine near the dorsal fin. In still or slow
    water, I like to hook them behind the dorsal fin, in faster water as far forward
    of the dorsal as I dare or through the top of the mouth with the point coming
    out just above the nostrils. I figure they won't need to smell where I'm sending
    them anyway. I also use a trick to make them a little less graceful
    out there. Using a scissors I trim off the lower lobe of the caudal or tail fin
    and sometimes about half of one pectoral fin. They have to fight to keep
    their balance in the water and just look a little more vulnerable.

18. rigrunner(236)

rigrunner(236) New Member

State:
    Ft Cobb Lake, Oklahoma
    I hook em right behind the dorsal fin.

19. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I hook them through the top off the back.

20. dookiechrist

dookiechrist New Member

State:
    utah
    ITS ILLEGAL TO USE LIVE BAIT IN UTAH, BUT I HOOK MY DEAD BAIT RIGHT THROUGH THE SKULL:0a16: