How do you hook goldfish?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by moondog58, Aug 18, 2009.

1. moondog58

moondog58 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Ok, question is, how do you hook goldfish?

I am going to try the little guys in the Monongahela River, here in West Virginia this week.

Never used them before, but from what everyone who has replied to my post says they work pretty good.

I checked with the WV DNR, and they say it is legal to use goldfish for bait. The Conservation Officer I talked to kinda laughed and said any that get out in the wild usually don't last too long, and the ones in ponds are not a problem.

2. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I hook them just like a minnow, just behind the back dorsal fin. They stay pretty lively this way.

3. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Either thru lips or behind dorsal fin. Most importantly, be sure to remove scales from hook point--can ruin a hook set. Stay safe and good luck!!!:wink:

4. wvcatfisherman

wvcatfisherman Active Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have used them and had better luck with them dead. I hook them like I do a bluegill, in between the tail and the dorsal fin, and use them for a couple hours alive. If I don't get hit, I reel them in and stomp the crap out of them. I seem to get hit more often doing that. Welcome to the BOC!:big_smile: