How do you hook a crayfish?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by eggman, Oct 15, 2005.

1. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    A little help needed, am going fishing within the hour and have six big crawdaddies along with some liver. Been a while since i used crayfish and was wonderin the best way to hook em....and can i use circle hooks with them? Any help appreciated

egg

2. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    wow, this may finally do it for me with this new site. If i had asked this on the old BOC there would of been umpteen responses. Oh well, didn't have much luck with the crayfish, cept for the one that pinched onto my thumb and drew blood. Caught a nice channel on liver so it wasn't a total loss.

egg

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Hey Eggman, If you wait till the crawfish takes your line out a little to one side it will make it easier to set the hook and bring it in,LOL!!! J/K

When I used to use them I always hooked them through the tail all the way back through the junction where their legs meet giving them a more natural look, Other than a hook sticking out of their underside.

4. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Hi Eggman,

I know this response is late since you have already gone fishing and gotten back. But, I will throw this in for future reference, since I am just now reading your post.

Now, this is just my personal preference on hooking crawdads and others may disagree. But, I hook them in the tail, bringing the hook from the underside of the tail up thru the top side of the tail and usually in either the second or third segment up from the bottom of the tail. The reason I choose to do it this way is because of all the fish I have caught in the past (whose stomach contents I checked) indicated that the fish were swallowing the crawdad, tail first. So, I just reasoned that it made more sense to hook them in the tail, in that, they would get the hook in their mouth quicker and/or farther back quicker, with a better possibilty of a hookup.

As for using the crawdads with circle hooks, I have never tried a circle hook with them. But, I feel pretty sure they would work well with them if you use a hook that is the right size for the size of crawdad you are using. In other words, don't crowd the space between the hook point of the circle and its shank.

:0a26:

5. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I have hooked my crawfish through the tail in the past, but it sure didnt seem like they lived very long...or at least as long as I wanted them to anyway. I started hooking them through the horn thats there on their face in front of their eyes. They stay alive much longer like that. If you're fishing in current it doesn't matter as much if they're dead or alive, because the current will make them flap around making it look like they're alive anyhow. In still water however it means alot. I catch lots of nice channel and largemouth also by casting them out Carolina rigged and letting them sit for a short time, and then working it slowly back to the bank...lifting and then dropping the sinker...pausing every so often. Everytime you lift up and drop the sinker the crawfishes tail isn't incumbered by a hook sticking through it and it'll scoot around with however much slack you have given it with the Carolina rig.

6. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    Thanks all! I did not have any luck with the critters but had one pinch onto my thumb and draw blood! It was a funny but painful situation for a few agonizing minutes let me tell ya. Should of known when I called the bait shop and the lady told me she just got some nice craws in, big and full of life! She was not lieing either cause the six I bought from her looked like lobsters to me. Ok, so before i left i did a quick search and found some info on hooking them, one method was to take a big rubberband and band it to the hook, this will keep the crayfish alive........well DON'T TRY THIS!!!! I was trying to strap the smallest feller onto my no 7 circle hook when he reached around and chomped into my thumb and was not going to let go until I passed out....These guys must a been takin steroids or something cause this sucker hurt so bad and when i tried to pry the pinchers apart he just hammered down harder! I was close to being in tears I kid you not. Now if I did not have enough problems with the crustacean hangin on my thumb, I dropped my lit cigarette from my mouth into my lap......okay so now my crotch is starting to smoke and blood is now running down my thumb as the crawdaddiie has now become my daddy. All this is goin on and out of the tearfilled corner of my eye I notice a fish is runnin with my liver on the rod next to me...son of a ????????? Well finally I grab the lit cig and shove the burning end right up into the creatures underbelly and he finally let go of my thumb. I think I am gonna stick to liver from now on, it is much safer.

egg

7. webster_catman

webster_catman New Member

State:
    webster
    thats the reason that when i use crayfish i break there pinches off, it dosent make any diffrece they still work and they cant pinch u or grab onto anything at the bottom, for me they r a great bait to use, and if they dont work alive then crush the shell and throw it out again they smetimes work better like that for me

8. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Catcaller, I have never had a problem with them staying alive and active for a very long time, when hooked through the tail. But, then again I don't know what your definition is for what you consider to be living for a long time. To me, a long time would be for say between 2 to 4 hours. And, with that time frame, as per how I fish, they normally make it that long. Which is sufficent for me. But, we all have our likes/dislikes and our different methods of doing things.

I tried hooking thru that hard portion around the eyes. But, it seems I lose them more quickly that way. But, I may not have found the sweet spot.

9. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    I like to hook them in the tail from the bottom. Then i take my hook and twist so I can take the hook and push it just to the barb in the back of the craydad. They seem to live for a good while and this way the hook can't snag.

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    first ya poke your finger with the circle i gave ya then ya get pinched by your bait. lmao.

did ya get the glow sticks yet?

11. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Egg, you trying to hook a crawdad with a treble hook? LOL I used to do it like just like J.W. did. If your fishing for Channel Cats, don't give up on them. If you have a good place to get them then you have a versatile bait for lot's of fish. We used to put some in a bucket and set them out in the sun to die and start smelling bad. And I mean bad too. LOL But the biggest Channel cat I've caught to date came on a rotted crawdad. 15 lber many years ago.

12. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

I learned that by laying the hook on the back, and then securing it to the crayfish with a rubber band, the thing stays alive a lot longer. Basicly wrap the rubber band around two fingers 2-3 times, put it around the tail of the crayfish, then thread your circle/ kahle/J-hook under the rubber band. I also use a leather glove as not to get pinched when holding the crayfish.

Ray

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    WOW,I've never seen such a bad case of disoriented PANIC.Whats the problem? One little crawdad on your thumb,crotch on fire from a dropped cigarette,and a good bite on liver.Any real BOCster would have immediately disregarded the crawdad/thumb situation by dripping the blood on the burning cigarette and done the RIGHT and ONLY thing to do which is grab the rod with the bite man.WHAT WERE YOU THINKING????????Imagine if you had the crawdad in your crotch and the cigarette stuck between your fingers.That might have been a little more serious and probably painful.If you can't handle two minor problems while reeling in a fish and drinking a beer then you should turn in your membership and seek counseling.Everyone knows to pinch off the claws or at least they do now.TRY and have a little fun next time,PS you can use the claw to hold your cigarette.LOL

14. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Um are you people Cat Fisher MEN or girls? :p I never been one to cower because a crawdad pinched me though. Been grabbing them and playing with them since I could walk. The basic way I like to hook a crawdad is to thread the hook on from the end of the tail to the start of the tail. Just threw the meat of the tail though. This is kind of like threading a twister tail onto a jig head. This will make the hook face down and exposed. Also the line on the hook will be the farthest from the pinchers. Crawdads like to grab your line and hold on. I have found it looks much more natural looking as well when fishing like this. Also another thing I have learned threw the years is by pulling the pinchers off they die faster. But if you want the ultimate crawdad bait make sure you find the ones that are in the soft shell state. Fish can since this state the crawdads go threw and much prefer them. After all fish are much like you all they would rather get pinched by a crawdad that can't pinch since its soft then one in a hard state. BTW sorry if i offended anyone, or not... :cool:

15. Damar12

Damar12 New Member

Boiling water with Zaterains Crawfish Boil Seasoning, 6 big crawfish, new potatoes, corn on cob and a few rough cut onions. Boil 10 minutes, let set in liquid for 30 minutes and eat. :rolleyes: