How do you hold them?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by mswaterfowler, Jun 20, 2008.

1. mswaterfowler

mswaterfowler New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I have heard many different ways to hold catfish and was wondering how yall held them. I personally hold them around their belly and put one finger in front of their fins.

2. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Very carefully those fins hurt.......no just kidding, the smaller ones when I am removing the hook, I grab from the top in front of the dorsal fin. The larger ones I am going to release, I lip them, and try and not touch them anywhere else.

Here is a bit of information, might come in useful. If you get stuck by one of the smaller catfish, to take the sting away, rub the place where you got stuck in the slime of the fish. Takes the sting right away. Funny thing though it has to be the same fish you got stuck with.....dont know why......

3. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Little guys I grab from theback facing forward. Top sticker between my ring and middle finger, then I hook those fingers around the side stickers. Big ones are whole different matter, usually lip em and hold the tail with my other hand. Want to get a mouth grabber/scale eventually, but, don't catch enough biggins' to justify the cost....lol

Richard

4. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Depends on how big they are :smile2::smile2::crazy::smile2::smile2:

5. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Over pan size, I hold them however I can by the back, the lip, etc. Pan size I hold with a fork and scrape the meat toward the tail...similiar to shelling a bream.:wink::big_smile:

6. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I usually get them close to the boat and then hook them up to a crane.. :smile2:

7. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    any 3+ lb fish ill lip em or gill em but the smaller ones i just grab in front of the fins and take the hook out.

8. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    I like to hold them with a fork, but sometimes I'll use my fingers though if they aren't too hot.

9. mswaterfowler

mswaterfowler New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I am with ya, man. And then you dip them into some tartar sauce:smile2:

10. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    wether It's a large or small cat I wrap my hand
    or hands around behind the head with my fingers
    on either side of the horns. It's a piece of
    cake in my opinion to handle them big or small.
    One important point I'd like to make to people
    who are in fear of the horns is that as cats get larger the horns get duller.What happens is that flesh grows over the horns as they get bigger. I once handled a 62# flathead and found that even if you hit the horn kind of hard you would NOT get stuck by the horn. However the small ones have horns like hypodermic needles.
    By the time they get to 10# or more there's not
    much to fear. Check it out with a dead cat that you've cleaned and you'll see it's true!

11. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Filet in one hand and hush puppy in the other.