How do you guys use circles?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by tbull, Jan 10, 2008.

1. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    This has been a question that I have been wondering about, and last night has really made me take another look at this. Usually on the main river, I will still use the clicker with circles, when they run I will just pick up the rod, and stop the spool with my thumb and land the fish. But last night, we kept getting little taps, and I got sick of the little half second clicker runs, so I locked the bad boy down, and 5 minutes later those little taps turned into the blue bending the rod over and almost ripping it off the boat, gotta tell you it was one of the cooler things I have seen. I know alot of big time blue guides lock the poles down...My question is, has anyone that uses circles noticed an increase or decrease in hookups using them one way or another? It seems like if you use them locked down and that rod bends over, you got'em...Just curious, man that was cool last night and I might be switching my tactics. Thanks all for your input...:wink:

2. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    all i use is circles,and i have had the same thing happen to me with my clickers.i locked em down just like you did and produced fish.90% of the time i use the clickers,but if fish are"tapping" bait i make sure my hooks are sharpened first and then i lock the reels down.sometimes that helps.

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have used circles, my buddy uses big diachi circles with clicker, he is a master at it also, very seldom missing fish. however, how you are talking about using them is slightly different than how we fish them for flats, i do know that you want a rod that isn't too heavy if you are gonna tight line them, i have heard too many horror storys about rod holders, rods, and lines being broken due to too fast/ or xh rods being used... from my undertstanding from the guys that drift tightlining, you want flexabilty, with some back bone, more like a med. to med./hev. rod, maybe something designed more for trollining...i may be wrong on some of this, i will let some others that actually fish this way tell you...im just going off of what i have been told.. nothing like false information lol:smile2: ...rollo

4. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    e-glass rods have worked better for me than graphite while using circles.also mono seems to work better than superline.the flex that e-glass and mono together give allows the hook to turn properly in the fishes mouth without being yanked out immedietly.

5. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Lock and load works for me:big_smile: used to let them run with the clicker when i fished with Khale hooks, but since circles are designed to be self setting letting them run kinda defeats the purpose,(just my opinion there). Definately need STRONG ROD HOLDERS to prevent a disaster:tounge_out::big_smile: Setting your drag correctly will allow a hook set and let that big one take a little line if you happen to have on 5 fish at the same time!!!:tounge_out::eek:oooh:

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Me and Big Sam have been experimenting with circles for the last half of 2007. We have fished a lot of different brands and sizes and have used several different techniques. We have found that locking the reel down and waiting until the rod loads up before you ever touch it then give the reel handle 4 or 5 fast cranks before you remove it from the rod holder works the best for us. I would guess high 90% on hook ups. I miss hearing that clicker screaming but it's getting about as addicting watching that rod go down:smile2:.

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    During the limited drifting I've done ( I don't even have a boat )I like the way we do it. We drift tight lined every time using circle hooks. Drift slow and just wait for that rod to slap. Always reel in some before you take the rod out of the holder...so important.

Some problems you will encounter is short strikes. Sometimes using a smaller bait helps, or even hooking the bait different ways may help. I would rig your left poles one way and the right another and see what works best. If you get a short strike quickly release some line to hold the bait in place, then lock her down again a see if that sucker want his picture taken. Heck sometimes even grabbing the pole during one of those taps works, just feel him tap and set it, even though your using a circle hook, but we only do that what we are annoyed at the taps, LOL.

I say 7' mh rod, 20lb mono and a good heavy leader tied off with a snelled circle hook is perfect. I think you need that stretch you get from the mono while drifting.

I hope something here will help ya.

g'luck
    -Jim-

8. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    I will be honest when I first started using circle hooks I absolutely hated them! I just didnt have anyone show me how to use them. I would use clicker and when it would start screamin i would pick up the pole and jerk. You all know what that means. I bet I missed 90 percent of good runs. After I was showed how to use circles, my goodness It is now 90 percent catch rate. ATLEAST 90 PERCENT! we lock the reals down and use very strong rod holders. Many of times the fish were hammering down on the pole so hard you just about couldnt get it out of the rod holder. I do agree with 777's way of getting them sometimes to though. If a fish is just tinkering and bending the pole down a little bit, I will simply reach up and start realing the real. Makes sense if the fish has the bait in his mouth but is just layin there chompin, when you real into the fish the circle will do what it is supposed to do. The biggest Blue cat We have ever had in the boat started to bend down the pole slowly but just kept it at about that same spot. bent pole down approximately 6 inches or so and just played with it. I told my budy to just reach up without taking the pole out of the rod holder and just start realling into the fish fast. Worked like a charm, 50lbr in the boat. Most of the time we don't have to do this though. Most of the time evan a 20 pound blue will just crank the rod down and you don't have to worry about realling into the fish. We Use nothing but CATTMAXX medium heavy 7.5-8 foot rods. These rods are by far the strongest poles we have ever used and not to mention they have 11 eyes on the 8 footers and 10 eyes on the 7.5 footers. These rods do not have the nice soft tip like the e-glass poles do which I think does hurt us when the fish are finnicky. Seems like when there is a good amount of current it doesnt matter anyways. The CATTMAXX poles are just our preference but boy have they treated us good. By the way we use the 8/0 octopus circle hooks (gamakatus). We downsize sometimes when using cut shad though and catching smaller channels. Me and my uncle were fishing in a creek once and just kept on missing fish on cut shad so I thought about trying something new. I riged up a stinger hook tied right onto the shank of the circle hooked to the main line. I did this by having about a 5 inch piece of line hanging off of the shank of the hook and having a smaller circle hook hanging off of the back. This way when we were using 4-5 in pieces of cut shad I could have a hook hooked into the front and back of the bait. Man did it work good. It finally paid off to try one of my goofy a$$ ideas. They were small channels that were just not takin the bait well enough for the one hook to work but we caught 9 fish that day and every one of them was on the stinger hook. By the way these were tightlined also! I may post a picture of how I did this sometime when I get home from work tonight:wink:

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    good post robin, i have also used a stinger hook before, actually i have done it with livebait as well. that would be great to see your pics. thanks buddy...rollo:big_smile:

10. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have always been a J hook fan. I recently caught my first cat on a circle hook. The rod was locked down as you call it and the fish loaded up on the rod. I simply just reeled him in. It was ok and the fish was hooked in the side of the mouth just like they claim it would do. I'm not so sure whether or not I will continue to use them... I may be leaning more towards big Kahle hooks. I simply just love to set the hook myself. Some of my best acrobatics tricks have come from massive hook sets...LOL:embarassed:

11. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Me and Sam have been experimenting with a 2 hook rig or using a stinger hook for bigger baits. Sometimes we will use 2 seperate baits with this rig. The tournament this past Saturday Big Sam caught these 2 fish at the same time using the set up for 2 baits.

[​IMG]

12. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Lock em down and let the fish load the rod is what has worked best for me. It seems to increase the hook up rate greatly. If I just let them run the clicker and grab the rod and stop them it seems that I sometimes end up with a fish that gets off early in the fight.

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    All I use is Circle hooks..I have my rods secured and I dont pick the rod up untill it looks like it's gonna break, loading up to the breaking point...Then I slowly pull back!..Works well for flatheads and channels.

14. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thanks for the input guys, I am leaning more towards the "lock down" method, while I haven't missed many fish using the clicker, there is just something about the lock down method that I really like.:roll_eyes:

15. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Lock and load! The only time I use a clicker is for a rod not in a good holder or sleeping ......

16. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I only use circles when protecting my self from SeaBears. Its the only thing you can do, but remember it must be a circle an oval wont work.:crazy:

17. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    I usually use them only when drifting or walking baits back in current. However you use them you have about got to let rod load up good. It has been my experience when you do hookup you are going to need a pair of pliers a good percentage of the time even if it is only in the corner of the mouth. I still use Kahle's anchoring although sometimes I do have circle for stinger.

18. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I have been using circles for a long time, the main point of this thread was just to get a feel for how others use them. I know its kind of gospel the way you have to let the fish load up on the rod, and I used them with clickers for so long that I want to try something different and lock'em down. Thanks again for all your input.:wink:

19. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sorry, i thought the point of it was so jack can go to sleep tonight without wetting the bed.....he is scared of them seabears!!!! atleast thats the word....lol...rollo

20. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i use to bait hooks alotmyself but rarely see a double like that... thats pretty cool!