How do you guys like to Crappie fish

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by jason berry, Feb 23, 2009.

1. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I learned last fall that by fishing deep structure, big structure that I could pull crappie in for alot longer period of time then alot of other people that just waited for them to come shallow. I learned this the hard way by going out and fishin the trees stumps and varying my depth but would only catch around 5-10 crappie because they werent really in there and alot of other people werent doing well. Then I went out into the main lake and looked for large structure on the depth finder and started fishing that way with slip bobbers and minnows from 14-21 feet and started catching around 50-125 crappie but I was fishing hard. Very big difference so if your like me and dont really know that much about crappie fishin when I started fishing the deep structure it payed off and I didnt really have to move at all except for two different spots. I fished like this for about 7 weeks through the fall and it was about the same every trip.

2. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    you been catching many crappie lately jason?

3. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I've just gotten into crappie fishing recently and have been reading everything I possibly can find about them.
    From what I understand, your new found method is perfect for colder water in spring, fall and even winter. I haven't been able to try it just yet, but I certainly intend to and I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work year round except maybe during full spawn.

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I started fishing for crappie during the winter 4 yrs. ago. Didn't know what I was missing. Usually catch my bigger ones then fishing deep. Follow them in on the structure clear up to spring on the structure. After the spawn follow them back out. Love the deep winter fishing.

5. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Did anyone know that crappie migrate up the creeks in the late fall, just in the middle of deer season? I didn't know until 3 yrs. ago, I'm telling you that the fishing is just as good or better than your best day fishing the spawn in the spring. It's the best fishing for crappie I've found and I fish over 120 times a year, not for crapppie all the time but it's quite the deal.

6. msucatfish

msucatfish New Member

State:
    mississippi
    I've always fished with a bobber and minnows, but alot of people around here do something called dipping, its just vertical jigging, with a really long ultralite pole and a jig and just bounce it up and down in and around structure, I'm going to try it just got me a 11' BnM pole and some jig heads

7. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    I love catching them with my 11' BnM pole, there is just something about lifting one out of cover into the boat, but I'll do whatever it takes to catch them, including minnows

8. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I'll agree 100% with ya on that statement. I do the same thing, the only difference is that I'll use "Sabiki" rigs to vertical jig 'em.

9. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I also use a bobber and minnow . I use a 12' rod with a little crappie reel . It a crappie set up but I forget the name of it . I never have much luck jigging for them .

10. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Gotta love that 11 footer. My favorite crappie pole.

11. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    I catch my largest crappie in the very early spring by trolling crankbaits with my trolling motor going very slow along the creek channel, my crankbaits run about 12-14' and are shad baits.
    I turned loose a 17" fish that weighed 2#12oz the other day:eek:oooh: only reason was she was the only one I caught:smile2:

12. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Fishing structure in deeper water along the river with slipcorks and minnows. We use jigs on ocassion just to help pass the time when thing get slow but usually don't catch alot on them. I try to target rock piles because you don't get hung up as much. I also try to stay away from the lakes because of all the boat traffic and those pesky BASS FISHERMAN that think they own the whole lake. The river where we fish has alot of holes that go from 2ft to 15ft - 20ft+ real quick and they hold alot of crappie.

13. bighoss

bighoss New Member

State:
    Thomson Georgia
    green chartruse wiggle tail jig small head weighted cork about two feet between cork and jig and slow reel up in the coves around logs or stumps.I have never had to fish deep water for crappie.

14. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I just love bobber fishin for them goin to Patoka this weekend with a buddy. Heres some a pic of deep water crappie from Patoka. Not the biggest but still learning the water.

Attached Files:

• ppp.jpg
      ppp.jpg
      File size:
      47.8 KB
      Views:
  15. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    nice crappie Jason!

16. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Nothing beats tying up to a stump,hooking a lively minnow on a 1/0 gold hook with a bit of weight and sending it to the bottom. Then crank up 1 turn every 5-10 minuets. This worked for my Grandparents and It still works great for me.:wink:

17. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Never really got into Crappie fishing until lately! A good freind on mine has a couple of really nice ponds, that holds nice size Crappie! Sometimes we'll get into some 15 to 17" size slabs. Really good for around here. I believe with proper management these ponds could support a state record!!

I'm a firm believe in the minnow with a slip bobber rig. This catches more crappie than any other technique I've used. Beetle Spins and Roadrunners in 1/8 oz. size does great too. My freind uses spinnerbaits for his Bass and will frequently land a lunker Crappie too!

18. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I love crappie, My favorite way is trolling roadrunners and other rigs like that. Just a minnow, bobber, and a beer is pretty good too.:wink:

19. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Iam a bobber and minnow kind of guy.or just a minnow on a gold hook.
    smokey

20. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    Just maribou jigs, Yellow,white or black, somtimes tipped with a minnow. After the spawn I like sassy shad.