How do you guys hold these blue cats on your shoulder for pictures?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Team Hold EM Hook, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Team Hold EM Hook

Team Hold EM Hook New Member

State:
    al
    Are ya'll blowing in their ear or do you have em sedated? I haven't been bold enough to do this, I know a guy who got his nose broke doing something like this. Everyone I have caught is just a little to mean to hold like this

2. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Probably like I hold them big flats by the lip/belly I definitly have had some bloddy hands after lipping some of the Flats I have caught.The trick is to hurry and sling the fish up there and snap the picture fast before they have enough to time to get pissed.

3. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Photo shop works great and much safer. LOL

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Joe ,I'll have to catch one first and get back to ya on that one.

5. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    I guarantee you would only hold a little 2 lb hardhead up there once! LOL:eek:oooh::angry:

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Well... first the peer pressure of your buddies standing around you makes you really strong.

Second, after holding it up in your arms while they get their lens caps off, ask you how to turn yours on, figure out you don't focus an automatic digital camera, trip over the net, etc... you are just dying to hold the fish in another position.

3rd, a little thumb pressure in the lower lip area kinda settles them down a little. If they are too quiet, it's definitely time to get them back in the water.

7. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    my question is how do you all bear hug em and not get impaled! Darn channels usually get me and Im not even posing with them.

8. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Scott, it's like lovin a woman. If you go at it all hot and bothered and touch places that you shouldn't you're likely to get smacked around a little.... or a lot....

When you handle a fish, do it softly and with stroke to calm and protect yourself.

I have found that the most dangerous catfish are the smaller ones.

There are 4 dangerous spots on a catfish. The top fin and the two sidefins, the stabilizer fins seem to have this juice that if one of them fin edges, the hard part pricks you, has an irritating (poison) that can cause swelling and pain. The 4th is the mouth. A big cat can crush clam shells with his/her mouth. It is the only way for them to hold on to anything.

Now, can you handle a bluegill without getting hurt? Do you smooth down that top fin?

Do you know the 3 fingered method of holding a small cat?

Use that with a big cat and avoid the big four. When you pick the beast up, slide it into your arms so that if a fin will touch you, it will fold down rather than impale you, and keep downward pressure on the lower jaw to keep from having scraped knuckles, which in my area is a medal of honor.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sounds like a good problem to have. If only I could catch the monster.

10. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    A old man that fishes at a lake we go to told me if ya get stuck rub the belly of the cat ya caught where ya got stuck it has some kind of chemical on it belly that takes care of the poison you messed up and got,and believe it or not it works...