Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are ya'll blowing in their ear or do you have em sedated? I haven't been bold enough to do this, I know a guy who got his nose broke doing something like this. Everyone I have caught is just a little to mean to hold like this

·
Registered
882 Posts
Probably like I hold them big flats by the lip/belly I definitly have had some bloddy hands after lipping some of the Flats I have caught.The trick is to hurry and sling the fish up there and snap the picture fast before they have enough to time to get pissed.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Well... first the peer pressure of your buddies standing around you makes you really strong.

Second, after holding it up in your arms while they get their lens caps off, ask you how to turn yours on, figure out you don't focus an automatic digital camera, trip over the net, etc... you are just dying to hold the fish in another position.

3rd, a little thumb pressure in the lower lip area kinda settles them down a little. If they are too quiet, it's definitely time to get them back in the water.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
my question is how do you all bear hug em and not get impaled! Darn channels usually get me and Im not even posing with them.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
my question is how do you all bear hug em and not get impaled! Darn channels usually get me and Im not even posing with them.
Scott, it's like lovin a woman. If you go at it all hot and bothered and touch places that you shouldn't you're likely to get smacked around a little.... or a lot....

When you handle a fish, do it softly and with stroke to calm and protect yourself.

I have found that the most dangerous catfish are the smaller ones.

There are 4 dangerous spots on a catfish. The top fin and the two sidefins, the stabilizer fins seem to have this juice that if one of them fin edges, the hard part pricks you, has an irritating (poison) that can cause swelling and pain. The 4th is the mouth. A big cat can crush clam shells with his/her mouth. It is the only way for them to hold on to anything.

Now, can you handle a bluegill without getting hurt? Do you smooth down that top fin?

Do you know the 3 fingered method of holding a small cat?

Use that with a big cat and avoid the big four. When you pick the beast up, slide it into your arms so that if a fin will touch you, it will fold down rather than impale you, and keep downward pressure on the lower jaw to keep from having scraped knuckles, which in my area is a medal of honor.

·
Registered
437 Posts
A old man that fishes at a lake we go to told me if ya get stuck rub the belly of the cat ya caught where ya got stuck it has some kind of chemical on it belly that takes care of the poison you messed up and got,and believe it or not it works...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.