How do you get your creek chubs

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by creek_fisher88, Sep 6, 2006.

1. creek_fisher88

creek_fisher88 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    were plannin a fishin trip this weekend and we were gonna use chubs for bait. there is a creek by my house that has chubs. and i was just wonderin how you all catch your creek chubs??? thanks creek

2. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Quickest and best way for me is to use a cast net. I have a 1/4" mesh one that works great for chubs. I hear others use small hooks and dough balls.

Good luck.

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use little pieces of night crawler on four pound line with a #6 or #8 hook with one or two small split shot. Set the hook quickly or the chubs will swallow the hook and you wont be able to keep them alive. With the net make your first throw a good one, you wont get a second chance! :eek:oooh: :smile2:

4. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    I catch most all my bait with rod and reel. Use a small crappie bobber(optional), a small splitshot, and a #8 hook. I always use waxworms for bait. I like to bring my splitshot all the way down to the hook. If you separate them a few inches, the chubs and bluegills will hit the splitshot as well. The most important thing when catching bait though, you have to cover the tip of your hook completely. It's strange how those little things are so cautious with what they eat. If the tip is sticking out, they will just stare at it for a second and move on.

5. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    It Depends On The Depth On The Water Where Get Them, If It's Some What Deep Then I Us A Cast Net, If The Water Is Shallow Then I Brake Out The Seinnet

6. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    i like to catch mine with rod and reel but if i am busy, i will set out a minnow trap (which can be found at any local walmart) with regular dog food as bait.

7. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    cast net is the way i do it

8. Muddler

Muddler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    If ya want, this is a pretty easy way to get into fly fishing. It's not as fast as a seine, but it's probably more fun. Put on a little teeny dry fly and try to catch a trout--if you're like me, you'll get all the creek chubs you need.

9. mobowhtr

mobowhtr Member

State:
    MO
    Creek chubs are my favorite bait and I use a cast net to get them.

10. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    For catching creek chubs I use a minnow trap from Wal-mart. I bend the wire back to increase the size of the openings on each end. I use Fritos corn chips for bait. I put it in one of the deeper pools. Leave it in there for a few hours. Give it a try, if chubs are there, you'll catch them.

11. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I use rod and reel for chubs with 4 pound test and size 14 hooks tipped with a several maggots.

12. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    i usually use a rod and real with RED worms not night crawlers and a very small hook. like the others said. most the BIG chubs u get are on the bottom and takes about 10 sec to hit.. dont let ur bait sit for more than 25-35 sec. if u dont have at least 10 chubs in 4-5 mins... not a good spot. i can get about 50-60 in 8 mins in a good hole