how do you get water out of lines in your motor

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by skiff1, Dec 24, 2009.

1. skiff1

skiff1 New Member

State:
    south caro
    Is it safe to dry run your engine to blow the water out? the reason why i ask is i had a problem with frozen lines.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    No it isn't but you can hang it straight down in the run fashion after getting home and all the water will run out. Or if you feel safer get some RV antifreeze and run the motor in a barrel and circulate the antifreeze through it at idle.

3. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    hey daniel,what lines are you having problems with?i would not recomend running the engine dry!will cause some bad problems. mark

4. skiff1

skiff1 New Member

State:
    south caro
    I always position it in the down position when i get home never had a problem before just a one time occurrence just wanted to prevent it from happing in the future

5. skiff1

skiff1 New Member

State:
    south caro
    cutbait101, i don't really know where it froze but when i cranked it she was not spraying i had to leave it in the water for a while to thaw

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    It's not too unusual for a motor that is used regularly to have a little held up and freeze. I've seen it a lot, but it usually only takes a minute to thaw. I think it just gets caught in the line to the peehole and freezes. No harm done. It's a good idea to change the gearcase oil this time of year to make sure you don't have water in there. That can cause a lot of damage if it freezes.