How do you get them out of the water?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Pacman, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have lost a lot of nice fish right at the boat. Trying to lift them out of the water with the line gives them something firm to pull against? I have a gaf, but if they are thrashing around its difficult to use. Those dinky nets at Walmart wouldn't handle a decent size fish. How do you get them out of the water and into the boat? Gotta be a better way!
    :0a35:

2. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I ussually try to lip them. I've started trying to remember carrying a leather glove though due to a few big flatheads making my fingers bleed.
    Chip

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    you need to get you a heavier duty net not a cheap wal-mart special.Or like above get a good glove.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    !! Glove hahaha ,sounds like Bill dancin baass fisherman to me or kieth warrenty

5. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I would invest in a good dip net. Make sure you buy one that has a long handle or an adjustable handle.

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    ram your bare hand in and get a full grip.then go out with the boys and show off your battle scars.

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I havent stuck my hands in there mouth yet, Ive been using a net. And yea the walmart ones stink, my 20lber broke mine like it was nothing. What should I expect when I try to lip one ? Thats what I really wanna do, as long as they cant break my hand or give me stitches I couldnt care less. Any advice ?

8. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I go hands on. I admit there are times I'll get the old right handed work glove on. But mostley I just bare hand it. scars tell a story and heal. All part of the fun.
    :boss:​

9. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Ok then, done deal, next fish wont see a net then...unless I have no choice that is.

Thanks

10. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Stick your thumb in the corner of the mouth and your fingers around to the bottom of the gills. That way you have a good grip on them and only fillet a thumb, not your whole hand:eek:oooh:

11. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Just ram your hand in, huh?

I also saw some "experts" that ram their hands into holes in the bank and catch em that way too. They don't realize that they could reach into the mouth of a beaver, cottonmouth, or gator?

I'm listening, but I gotta remember that not all catfishermen have good sense!:smile2:

12. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use a net to get them in the boat and then i lip them.

13. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I also had guy tell me about sticking his hands into the gills and getting cut up pretty bad. Which kind is that? Flathead?

14. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    i hand pick mineiv got places all over my hands from them eaten my hands up

15. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    My biggest fear would be getting hit by a turtle...ouch

16. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I use a big net to land mine. Remember, lift the net with the hoop sideways, not horizontal. My big net has had a 60 pounder in it and many 40 and 50s. I don't know how big you are talking, but I would say my net will hold an 80 pounder. I got it at Dick's sporting goods for around $40. Vern

17. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    lol Jimmy just stick your thumb in there mouth they bite down on it a lil not so hard as that pit would do in your profile pic lol then when your thumb is getting bit with your free finger's hook them under there jaw they only shake a little bit not like that pit of your shake's when he got's a grip on something lmao Oh yea make sure your thumb is on the side of the jaw that the hook is'nt .... yes i have a pit too:wink:

18. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    wait till they bite down. LOL ouch. i carry a salmon net and a gaff. also a glove. call me a sissy, i don't care. least i can get most into the boat.:big_smile:
    gary

19. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Oh yea, I wasnt even thinking about the hook, Thanks, LOL

20. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i just grab them by the lower jaw. 4 fingers inside the mouth with thumb on outside. The bigger the fish the less it hurts to pick them up like this. I think that their weight keeps them from clamping down like the 8-15lbers do.
    BTW, blues seem to have the sharpest "teeth" of any cat i have picked up. Flats seem to just mellow out once i get my hand in their mouth.