How do you get em out of the wood?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by trctrdr, Aug 27, 2009.

1. trctrdr

trctrdr New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've had far too many fish on that ended up getting tangled up in the wood under water,,,never had much luck getting them out. I've tried moving the boat to the other side of the spot they were and every thing else I could think of. What does everyone else do? Any tricks? I'm too old to jump in the water and get em like I used too, especially since there are muskies 52" in there now. Wouldn't you like to grab a handfull of one of those ten feet down in the middle of the night.

2. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    sounds like something jj would do :cool2:lol

3. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    A very experianced flathead fisherman posted this on another site. He has reset the boat over the snag and used his push pole to try and goose the fish out, sounds like a great idea. Also giving the fish a little slack and wait him out, maybe he will exit the snag on his own. Might take an hour or more but well worth the wait.

4. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Some times shining a big spot light down to the fish and making alot of noise will flush them out.

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    By far, the best tactic is to not let them get in there to start with.

When fishing in or very close to wood use heavy rods and line and lock the drag down tight. You have to be on your toes and not let them run at all. Use a J hook and set it hard, pull like hell and get them away from the snags.

That may not sound very sporting but neither is breaking off on a fish and leaving it tethered to a snag.

J.M.H.O...W

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I agree with Winston, but there are times even in normal circumstances when the fish get in the snags. I use a stout medium heavy rod, lock the drag down, use Power Pro 100# line with a 60# fluorocarbon leader, and lean on 'em like hell to keep them from the cover. With a stout setup, you CAN somewhat horse the fish around to keep them from cover. Again, they will often reach the snags. When they do get hung, I keep extreme tension on the rod to keep the fish's head on the snag. Often times they will wiggle a time or two and become dislodged. IF that doesn't work, only then will I give the fish a tad of slack to see if they can work loose that way. Usually if you give them any slack, they will just wrap around the snag several times thus ruining your chance of landing them. More often than not if they get completely hung up in the snags, you will ultimately lose the fish. The Big Pee Dee I fish is one of the snaggiest rivers I ever fished, and it is a great challenge to overpower or outwit Mr. Whiskers to the boat.
    Bill in SC

7. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I have to agree , also whenever possible position your boat directly away from the wood and hopefully nearest the deep water and pull like the devil.When they do get hung not much I have tried works unless the fish untangles itself.Last resort give slack and see if he will come free.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Took the words right out of my mouth! :wink:

Bill in SC

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

Do it my way, winch down the drag so the fish has no chance of moving. Give the fish nothing!

I'd rather have a fish break me off than swim me into a snag!:cool2:

10. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Just like these guys have said, use stout gear and horse them out. I'd try fishing just outside the wood with a circle hook locked in gear, don't freespool or clicker. Let em hang themselves and winch em in. Good luck!

11. trctrdr

trctrdr New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Luckily all of the ones so far have broken at or near the hook so only the hook and maybe a short peice of line is still attached to the fish. I understand that a steel hook goes away in a fish fairly quickly do to the acid in their body. I think I will move my setup out in the lake a bit so I can pull them out of the wood as soon as they are hooked. Maybe use some bigger line for the leader. Then I can really lean on them before they can get into wood. I hope one night soon I catch that fish again and can remove all of my hooks before I set him free. LOL

12. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If I get snagged up with a fish on I useally wait it out.. I have had lots of luck with it. sometimes the fish gets free but it frees my tackle also

13. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    You also may want to try to pull your fish from shallower water to deeper water. That way you're not dragging them up a hill so to speak. It's not always possible to fish like that but it keeps them off the bottom a little better and therefore out of more snags.

14. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I agree with Winston,Bill,and Tan.When fishing in snags,the fight is usually won or lost in the first 5 seconds.Aint no such thing as overkill when gearing up for some snag fishing!:wink::crazy:

15. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    Carry an extra rod, something lighter and more sensitive, and use it with just a weight tied on to probe for snags. Fan cast around the snag preferably not right before you fish it, and see if you can find a relatively clear path to bring fish out of. Once you find a clean path, cast as close to the snag as possible and bring the fish out through the clear path. The smaller the clear area, the heavier the tackle you need to keep him steered into it. Sometimes floats can be an option to keep fish from ever reaching bottom cover as well.

16. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Stick em' fast and fishgt em' hard that what my buddy Patcat always told me, gotta go with that suggestion, turn em' away before they have a chance to get in the stick-ups!

17. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Jus like the other guys say, use a heavy duty set up, I have one special pole for jus such. I might add try a Kat Bobber, you will notice the strike, and you will be on guard, before it gets a chance to bury itself. Pretty much got to stop it in its tracks.

18. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    when i get them hung up, i let them have a couple feet of line. keeping the line semi tight so i can feel the fish. a lot of times 3-4 returns to a tight line and they will swim free. dont work all the time but it works more times than not.:wink:

19. altamaha418

altamaha418 New Member

State:
    GA
    this is one reason i love circle hooks. I leave the rod in the rod holder with the drag set tight. when a fish hits and bends the rod over i reel down on him before i even pick the rod up. this usually brings the fish up and out of the cover pretty fast and then you just gotta keep him there. If you do get one that goes in the crud try keeping steady even pressure on him or just give slack and let him swim out himself. Hope this helps.

20. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member