How do you get a record fish certified?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by tricitycatter, Jan 5, 2010.

1. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    I feel kinda dumb askin this question, but any of you know where or how you get a fish that might be a record certified? Does each state have own rules or are they uniform?

2. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    I believe the rules are different. Here , you must take the fish to a wildlife service agent. There it will be weighed , photographed , and positively identified by a biologist. Upon completion of this step , you must fill out a form in the regulations digest and send it to the commission. Try googling Washington state fish and game for more detail. Congrats!!

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I second that.

4. Camo Fish

Camo Fish New Member

State:
    United States
    I just recently had a record Blue Sucker caught on my boat(KY)by a client while Sauger fishing and that was just the beginning of the ordeal. We had to take the fish to a nearby market that had a Ky State certified scale which is licensed as such, with a copy(picture of the seal). We had to get signatures from everyone involved which were notarized all on an official application. The only way we could get the application (might be another way) was by this region's Fisheries Biologist that also had to weigh, measure,etc. Oh, and dealing with the State Government they will definitely misplace something before it's all said and done. I'm not mentioning any names but I know this guide who applied for a guide license recently and received a taxidermy license instead (they did correct this). This fella' has never stuffed a frog. Nevertheless, if you do catch a State Record do the best you can to record as much info, show it to as many people as possible ,collect their names and contact info and take all the pic's possible of everything you do. Best Wishes for Big Fishes!

5. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    We just did it in September of 09 at a King Kat tournament in Galipolis, Ohio it was the West Virginia State record Blue when we put the fish on the scales Tanner made the comment that it was one of the largest Blues he had seen in that area, it weighed in at 29.75# and a West Virginia Biologist said if that's a Blue it's a new state record, he verified it,Tanners scales are certified, we measured it took a bunch of pictures and two months later we got the certificate.......................Doc

6. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    Thanx everyone, Not that I caught a fish big enough, was just wonedring about that. Of course I do intend on catching one that big this spring when the cats move up to spawn, I know of a few places that look promising & have heard that there were some 30lb + cats caught last year & the year before. Looks like I need to dig a bit into the WA dep of F & W.

7. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Here in PA.,it has to be weighed on state certified scales and available for examination bty the PFBC.For world records,you can write to the IGFA,and they,ll send you a form.You can also get their list of records for every line class.They provide info on how to get your scale certified by them too.

8. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    they have steered you in the right direction, if you want it certified by the IGFA you have to down load a form from their website and follow their rules to the letter send the hook line and sinker for testing and if it passes that you have a certified fish and get a certifcate and your name in their annual magazine they send out.