How do you fry shrimp?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Buddrice, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I bought some shrimp from down south and was wanting to fry some.How do you make it look like the breaded shrimp you buy ready to fry?The shrimp you buy fresh is round and the shrimp you buy frozen in flat on the end...

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thaw them first...:big_smile:

3. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Buddy you need to butterfly them. Cut beside the vein and devein them and you are ready to fry. I aslo put a pepper in a few and wrap in bacon before battering them.

4. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    The store bought ones go thru a batter dip and then a breading machine that presses them down on to a conveyor belt full of breading while more is layered on top. It tends to flatten them out. Then it goes thru another one after going thru a batter dip and then directly into a a blast freezer, (usually with a liquid Nitrogen bath as it enters to instantly freeze the batter and breading.) Fresh is much better! If you use a batter/breading mix that is the consistancy of pancake batter you will get a similar look to the commercial stuff. Putting it in the freezer for awhile will help hold the batter on the shrimp as you cook it. Good Luck, Bud!

5. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    or go to Libby Hill and order up a pound....lol

6. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Equal parts beer and flour with a little Tony's makes a good batter also good for onion rings. Just mix together and let it set for a few hours before use.

7. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Lot of good suggestions listed here. May also want to post your question on the thread "Jen's recipe exchange".

8. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I agree with Arlington on this one but I have to have a little pepper also. I ain't suppose to eat them but I don't listen real good, ate 57 of them at Red Lobster a few years ago, when they had an all you can eat special going on, I think they lost money on me.

9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Buddy, I don't think there is nothing better than fresh shrimp. Few years ago we stayed in the Corpus Christ, TX area for couple months. I would go down and meet the shrimp boats when they came in, now that is fresh. Wife made a batter with flour, egg and ice water. Great eating. So much better than the store bought ones and most restaurants.

10. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Are they jumbo shrimp? Have you cleaned and deveined them? If they aren't jumbos, I see no point in butterflying them. Just soak in a little buttermilk first, then shake in some House Autry Seafood Breader (Four Oaks, NC product----goodness grows in North Carolina), then repeat the shaking. Or if you have some Texas Selects fish breader, I've heard that it is also excellent. House Autry produces several different types of breaders...lemon pepper, hot & spicy, low sodium. I use the low sodium myself. Fry 'em in hot oil, around 375 degrees. It won't take long for them to be done, so try not to overcook. Nothing's worse than a rubbery shrimp! :lol: I use the HA Seafood breader for onion rings too. Just add an egg and a bit of water, until you have a consistency that will cling to the onion rings. Mmm Mmm good.

11. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 cup corn starch
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1/2 cup ice water
    1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    1 large egg, lightly beaten

Combine flour, cornstarch,
    baking powder, salt, water, vegetable oil, and egg;
    Dip shrimp in and let excess drip off . Deep fry in 350 oil until golden, yum.

12. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks for all the responses,I kinda used Arlington's and Ersel's methods.I went and bought some beer.I got the flour and corn meal mix out.I dipped the shrimp in milk and egg and then in the flour mix and fried at 350 degrees until golden brown and drank the beer... :lol:

13. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Shrimp are truely one of best tasting foods in my opinion. Just butterfly them. Beer batter and a deep fryer and there ya go! Good eating!

14. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    TSS Cajun Fish Fry, great with Shrimp also. I know I talk a ton about TSS but that stuff is awesome.

15. Catatonic Chronic

Catatonic Chronic New Member

State:
    Johnson City, New York
  16. mandisue13

mandisue13 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    how about some shrimp creole? making that tomorrow night! mmm mm good, my own recipe....

17. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    Hey Buddy, where did ya get fresh shrimp from?:roll_eyes: Sure wish I had some!:big_smile: This chicken and burro is gettin' old!:crazy:

18. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I want everyone to know I met GOOBOY (Eric) through the BOC and we have met up a couple of times at gatherings.I have also met several other Louisiana members and consider them all good friends now.Eric sleeps offshore:lol:,I mean works off shore.He let everyone here know that he was going to run south and pick up some shrimp and he would pick shrimp up for who ever wanted it at cost.He brought me back 20 pounds and I paid him.I just wanted everyone to know that only a friend would offer to do something like that... :big_smile:.

19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    In my honest humble opinion there is no better way to eat a shrimp then cold boiled and butt a$$ naked except for a good cocktail sauce.