How do you freeze tomatoes?

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by shooter, Jun 3, 2008.

1. shooter

shooter New Member

State:
    ks
    what is the best way to freeze preserve tomatoes? do you freeze in water?

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I just run hot water over them to loosen the peels then peel them. I vacum pack mine with uaually 3 to 4 to a package and freeze them. Just thawed a pack this morning to make chili tonight.

3. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    We start out like bluejay. Bring a large pan of water to near boiling. Dunk tomatoes in pan of water to loosen skins. The peel. Then we take out the core. At that point you can either take out the seeds or leave them in. It depends on how you want them. Then put them in a freezer bag. If you plan on using them with in three months you dont need water. If keeping for over 4 months you may want to use some water to keep them from frost burning.
    Dont forget to mark the date on the bag when you freeze them. That way you can use the oldest bags firsts. Good luck

4. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Why freeze them, when they are so easy to can?? Then it takes no electric to keep them.

5. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    :0a10:Ya just stick em in the freezer!! (Sorry, just kiddin' around!):0010::0a33:

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    We blanch and peel them and just put in ziplock. I do think i'll try my hand at canning some this summer.

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yup thats the way I do em' if i ever grow enough to freeze.

8. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    Ive never froze them whole, if I froze them, it's usually as tomato juice or sauce. When I do them whole, I usually can them in jars coldpacked which is in a waterbath.

9. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    We just core,quarter and put in freezer bags with the peeling on them.When you cook with them the peel will float to the top for easy removal.Been doing this for almost forty years.
    Jake

10. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Can then they will last 2 or 3 years if you freeze them use seal a meal and they will not freezer burn good luck we also can them with corn, orka and lima beans season for soup mix it's ready to go

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    This brings up a whole nuther train of thought. I can buy canned tomatoes very reasonably priced in the winter for cooking; and you can't very well put what you freeze or can on sandwiches anyway, so I'm not too concerned about preserving red ripe tomatoes. It's GREEN tomatoes for frying I have trouble finding! So, has anyone ever tried freezing firm green tomatoes and then frying them after thawing them out? I'd really like to hear how well that works. I've got 8 nice big tomato plants this year, and while I don't expect to have any extra tomatoes, if I do, I'd like to freeze them green if I can fry them afterward.

12. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    If you'll plunge them into boiling water and then run cold over them and prick the skin with a knife it'll come right off. Then like John said I just put them in bags and freeze em. Never had a bit of trouble out of em that way and been doing it for years, since a sweet old granny told me how :big_smile:

13. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I for the life of me, have no idea why a person would want to freeze tomato's. Are your freezers that empty, that you need something to look at in them, besides a few loaves of bread.

Canning is so easy. We open kettle lot's in the regular canning jars. I will run those old glass lid type jars threw a water bath afterwards as that helps them seal better.

The one time I tried freezing tomatos, they were a watery mess, when thawed. Freezers are for good sweet corn, beef, chicken,pork, venision, damn turkeys when on sale. Not for tomatoes. lol

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Is that for red ripe tomatoes, or for green tomatoes?

15. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    Is it best to core them after they have been blanched, or does it really even matter?

16. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My thoughts exactly. canning is easy. peel and core them as mentioned earlier. then heat them and put them in jars. as they cool off they vacuum seal themselves. clearly the best way to go. freezing them leaves them really mushy.

17. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    That works for green as well as ripewhat your doing is blanching them not cooking them I've done it. You just thaw them alittle then batter and fry YUMMMMMMM!!!!!! Love those green fried matters. It works with egg Plant too, But I leave the skin onthw and fry.
    Loop

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Seems to me that by the time you leave a quart container in boiling water for 50 minutes (recommended time for canning), the tomatoes are going to be cooked. Here's a link to information from the USDA and the state of Minnesota on canning tomatoes and/or juice using both boiling water method and pressure cooker.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/nutrition/DJ1097.html

19. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Thanks for the info Jerry. I haven't been involved in the canning of tomatoes in many years, but from what I recall we always semi-cooked them first, then put 'em in the jars and let the lids pop. Perhaps we weren't doing it correctly (I didn't read the entire link), but nobody ever got sick. Of course, they WERE used in cooked tomato dishes such as spaghetti sauce.

I've never eaten fried green tomatoes, but it seems to me that frozen ones (even green) WOULD be a bit mushy. IMO, most things that are frozen (whether this is FACTUAL or not) seem to have more water content. Doesn't sound that conducive for frying, but if Loop says so......

Since tomatoes are watery anyhow, makes me wonder.

Do you like green tomato pickles? That could work. :wink: Think I'll just stick to okra.

20. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    tomatos? someone say tomatos???????:smile2::wink: I can all of mine....rollo