How do YOU fish low water?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Phil Washburn, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Here in Oklahoma we have needed rain for months. The rivers are slow and low, and the lakes are so low most boat docks are out of the water. What methods do you folks use when water levels drop? Fishing is slow for me, but I may not be doing it right.

it is hard to find holes around here on my river.

2. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    when the water gets to low for me to lanch my boat i just go to the higher elevation lakes and fish. we have one lake here thats a great bass and crappie lake average depth is 22 feet. has some cats not big though just checken livers and clams for the cats and bass and crappies different lures and jigs work em kinda slow.

3. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    As long as you can launch the boat and move around I actually think the fishing is better because most of the fish are isolated in the holes, this is how it is in the river I fish anyways.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    in rivers go to where the strongest current is. when rivers are really low cats will search out the most current, now lakes i have no clue as to where they go. i would guess the deeper holes.

5. etipriga

etipriga New Member

State:
    TX
    Im w/ Jay on this one. If you do know where ne holes are on the river thats prolly gonna be ur best bet. If the river is to low to boat in and the holes are near ne roads then u can prolly walk to them. I live in central TX and our river is no more than 2 ft deep right now, the fish are trapped in these holes; so you might just find one that stacked with big fish!!

6. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    im surprised noones made any mention to bringing a camera and documenting different structures and things you normally can't see when the waters at normal levels...

when the water levels are low around here i fish normally, i look for some slightly deeper spots along the lake next to relatively shallow spots... in the rivers i find the holes and probe them by tossing cutbait and/or chicken liver in to see if anything bites... nothing special...

7. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Dinkbuster hit it on the head. Look for the high current spots, like chutes and narrow channels. The holes can also be good. Vern

8. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I like fishing during low water levels, just not too low. I don't know but, I think flatheads can tell ahead of time that the water levels are dropping and begin to move to deeper water. The fact that the oxygen will be much less concentrated after a days heating is even more reason to find deeper, faster moving water. This will provide them with some room and more energy to feed off of the faster current. I feel if they become trapped in an area they are less likely to hit because there bodies are telling them they need to get out of there and are less worried about feeding at the time. I like to fish small pocket areas if they are trapped, and can sometimes get a hit that way.

9. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Give that man some points I was thinking the exact same thing. I would be documenting all the structures and maybe making my own where I know that I could cast to when its at it regular level

10. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK

i agree gary - that is a good idea

thank everybody for their input...i have to agree, the holes would have to be the best shot - just have to find them now

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Gosh Phil, it is so low in most rivers, you don't "fish" anymore... you "select". Just walk out there and pick up whichever ones you want. If it don't rain soon, catfish will become an endangered species.

12. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    If its a river, then I would take this low water as a opportunity to do some drift fishing.

13. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You're right, Sang. They get out. We have a lot of sloughs that fill up during high water. I NEVER knew of a flathead getting himself stranded in them. A few blues, channels an bullheads, but no flathead!

14. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I think long term low water is not as much of an issue as a recently dropped lake. This is because the fish adpat and they still have to eat. Those sudden lake changes are what causes problems and the need to adapt quickly.

15. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Some people around here dont do it or I guess never thought of it, but when really low water occurs on the rivers here sometimes I will just anchor right in the middle of the channel. The fish you the channel as a travel cooridor and we have had luck fishing them that way. Just keep a eye out for the barges and other boats! Other than that, thats what I do and seems like a logical approach since most of the cats retreat to the channel.

16. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK

you ain't lying, Lawrence. we got some ice and snow last night and this morning, but it won't noticeably raise the water levels. still glad to have it tho. i'll take any and all forms and amounts of precipitation we can get around here....where do you like to fish in the guthrie area?

17. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Phil, I fish low waters in the shallows cause thats all that left. :rolleyes:

18. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Look for deep holes that are down stream of riffles. and fish it hard right where the riffles drop off into about 10 to 20' of water or more.

Get back to me if you got my private message.

19. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Fishing low water for me has its ups and downs. When water is low it is a pain to get my boat down the river, but if you find a fairly deep spot your going to find fish.