How do you fish live bait on the bottom of a river ?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Montgomery, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    in a river there is lots of heavy currents. how to you fish live bluegill or chubs on the bottom. and whats the best way to hook a live fish . to stay alive longer and beable to get good hook set.

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I use a Carolina Rig, and always hook my live bait eithier behind the dorsal fin, thru the lips, or thru the eyes.

3. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    In current I always lip hook my live baits.:wink:

4. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    I agree with Ken, I run the hook in their mouth and out the top through a nostril. They'll stay alive and it's a natural presentation.

5. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    i start out with a 4oz noroll sinker 10 in leader line an a 10/0 king kahle then hook the fish though the eyes or though the dosal fin

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    First of all WELCOME to the BOC Family. Sure your gonna get lots of questions answered.
    Second I usually hook through the eyes ,seems to loook more nat.and stays on better.
    AGAIN WELCOME!! GOD BLESS and STAY SAFE !!

7. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    It really depends what you mean when you say "live bait"? I usually use a night crawler/cutbait on a 3-way swivel rig. If using live fish [eg: bluegill, minnows] hook em through the tail (but not through the spine) or crayfish just hook em through the tail under a slip/fixed bobber and just lob it out there! IMO live bait is the only way to go!

8. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I also use a Carolina rig and hook live bait in the mouth an out through the nostril in fast current or behind the dorsal fin with light to no current.

9. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I Agree WitH Zakk And Fishhook, The Way That Suggested Is How I Fish In Current Filled Waters

10. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    WOW!! Thats all I can say! Aprreciate you all very much.:big_smile: Pat Powell

11. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    If I'm going to use a bobber, I'll hook the bluegill through the lips.

When I use them on bottom, I hook the bluegill below the fin and try to miss the spine and any organs and they seem to stay alive for a while.
    I fish them on the bottom with a slip sinker.

I had one out the other day around 1 1/2 hours and when I reeled it in, it was still alive. I pulled it off the hook and tossed it back in the lake and he swam off.

Ken

12. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I hook em' behind the dorsil fin with a big #8 Gamakatsu circle hook-they won't come off.Just don't hook them in the backbone.You have to be careful not to sling them off or tear the fish where its hooked when you cast.I don't throw back down river,I anchor over the hole I want to fish and drop them straight down beside the boat(6 ounce no roll sinker) and crank the handle one time after it touches bottom.This will put the bait around 2' off the bottom.

13. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i do as some of the others have said hook them up thruogh the roof of the mouth and out between the nostrils .

my rig is sinker on bottom then up the line a few inches i tie a loop from the same line to put my hook and bait on , my weight varies depending on bait size i have seen a 12" shad swim around with a 5 oz sinker sometimes you need as much as a pound sinker to get your bait to stay put in heavy current . good luck

the only time i hook them in the back is if theres no current

14. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use a three way rig!

15. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    In heavy current hook through the front of the baits as stated. In less current in front of the dorsel fin, less stress on the baits this way so they stay alive better.

A Flathead will always want the live bait taken head first. If using a "TURNED HOOK" there is a right way and a wrong way to place the hook in the live baits!!!!

If using a Carolina Rig in heavy structure/snag city unless the weight can come up very close to the hook you may get into trouble. There are rigs that work the same as the Carolina but you can attach a break-away sinker to. Lok through the BOC Libary Plz.