How do you fish for catfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by TennesseeJugger, Sep 24, 2009.

1. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    I normally jug fish here in Tennessee but I am open to other methods like rod & Reel. I have a boat. Should I drift with bobbers or fish the bottom?
    Let me know what you all are doing.

Thanks,
    Don

2. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    depends on the water.. deep water, try drifting with your bait about 3-4 ft off the bottom, no need for a bobber. Deep or shallow, try anchoring and setting it on the bottom. What type of fisherie will you be in??

3. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    I normally fish in lakes and big creeks. When I fish the lakes I fine coves to fish in.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  4. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Love to fish heavy covers or even cut out banks.

5. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I do all kinds of fishing. I love to jug fish and rod and reel ever more. R&R i look for feeder creeks in the summer and fish where they meet the channel and in the winter i look for deep holes with some kind of structure. Not a pro by any means but i do catch fish.

6. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    One way that I dont fish is jug lines and limb lines..... mostly its using a pole or two.... fish lakes that let me have the boat on the water at night, or down to the Colorado river.... I set fish on holes or good cuts, drift when I can while looking for cats, and at night setup on a spot or two and do move some...make the bait in the am or mid day, and use mackerel and gills for bait .... but then some good ole stink is used as well....

7. Bumpkin68

Bumpkin68 New Member

State:
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    I bank fish on bottom on the downstream side of draw bridge pilings when the current is moving, the faster the better.

8. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    I do the run and gun approach. Fish one spot for 30min to an hour if i don't catch any thing move ,try it somewhere else. If i do catch one I'll give that spot an extra 15 min.

9. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    Welcome to the BOC mike.

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    if it was legal to jug fish, set limb-lines, and trotlines, i would do it. Because PA is such a tight-ass state, I'm only limited to rod and reel.

11. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I just fish with a r&r and tie up to a carolina rig.

12. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Rod and reel.
    May try a trotline should the need for food arise , but preferably rod and reel. I like the sense of accomplishment from catching fish that way. Hopefully nothing bad will occur thus eliminating the need for trotlining altogether. Really , I'd have to be in dire straits to do it. Have always used rod and reel and personally wouldn't use anything else.