How do you fish Bridges for Flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Catmaster, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I have not done much fishing around large bridges over the river that I fish. I was planning on doing more of this, So, I was looking for info on what is the best way to fish bridges and get good resultes. The river I fish is about 150-250' wide. I would appriciate any info and techniques people could give me. THANKS!!!!!

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    bridges can be very good areas to fish. they provide shade and sometimes you get large log-jams in front of the pilings. if there are no log-jams flats will lay right alongside the pilings, and if the river is high they will get behind them out of the current. if the pilings are wide enough there will sometimes be washout holes behind them. dont worry about car/rail noise, they get used to it, but it will drive you nuts.

3. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    dink, or others, how do you all go about fishing the bridge pilings though? Have never done it myself, do you fish up river of them and cast towards or whats the best way to approach them?

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i guess it all depends on what the bottom is like. usually there is a lot of current flowing past those pilings and if there is a log-jam i will fish right in front of it during the day for channels, and right behind it in the washout hole and shade of the bridge for the flats. once it hits 10:30pm or later they will move out and roam. if there is a washout hole right behind it and extends for quite a ways under or behind the pilings the flats will do opposite the channels and roam the back edges/runs of that hole and up and down along the pilings. whenever there is concrete of any type shad love to feed on the algae that grows on it. it took me a few years to figure this one hole out that was under a rr bridge and that's the way i found that they feed. i use a float/lightstick if the water is slow enough behind the jam and along the pilings, sometimes those spot s are full of snags and large rocks/boulders the builders placed to help keep the bottom from washing out. usually there is a slightly deeper channel on either side of the jam and i found the channel cats will go directly to them at dark and head upriver to feed instead of coming straight out in front of the jam. the only pilings i do any good on from my boat are ones that have jams or are near the channel or deeper holes. flats will roam up and down the pilings looking for shad regardless if there are jams or not. fishing pilings in low current areas may be different but this is how i catch cats when there is moderate to heavy current.

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    When i fish bridge pilings i always fish the backside of the direction the water is moving.Alot of times the flatties will sit back there out of the current waiting for food to float down to them so its a very good spot to fish.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ihave such a spot on a river I fish..It is a railroad tressle with a huge deep washout hole behind it..The hole is close to 40ft deep..I have caught zero cats out of this hole and it has always puzzled me why?

7. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I haven't caught a lot of flatheads, but about 1/2 were around bridge footings. If there's wood on the front and at least several feet of water, I would definitely try there first.

Right next to the footings is another place, then behind them too...they're a natural ambush spot and often it's washed out just behind them. If you're not getting hit keep moving around them, let the fish tell you where to work.

Due to the shade, I especially like these spots for daytime fishing.

Shawn

8. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    So far I've only fished one and found that the Flatheads were about 35 yds behind/down stream from the bridge supports, go figure :confused: .

9. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Thanks Guys, I appriciate it!!!!!!!!!!:) :) :)