How do you find worms in Texas?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by Gibbzilla, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Without buying them, where do you find worms in your backyard? I know that the fire ants eat most of them, but years ago I could still go in my backyard and find some, but now I can't find any. I even make really moist spots in the soil and dig, and can't find a thing. What should I do?

2. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Adrian you are bought right. I moved from Tx to WV and now it is like going to the grocery store night crawlers are every where but no fire ants.

3. Wildchilde01

Wildchilde01 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Just buy them man, much cheaper than digging for them with the backhoe it would take to get deep enough, and cheaper than the amount of ant poison it would take to get rid of the ants.

Another option is to make an above ground worm bed/box and grow them yourself. If you do it right and stay on top of them keeping ants and such out you could have good worms in there in a few months. Problem here lately though would be the heat killing them off I would think.

12 worms at academy or Gander Mountain cost about 2 bucks, 24 of them like 3 bucks.

4. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Man life with no fire ants must be wounderful. Here south of dallas we used to get as many worms has we could grab. I haven't found any in a very long time, diggin' in my back yard. We do not use any chemicals in the yard either. So I guess the fire ants are to blame. Or it may be the 105 degree days we are having too...
    The above ground worm box sounds like a good idea.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

what part of Texas are you talking about I lived in a couple of places there and found worms pretty much everywhere but west Texas. If you have black dirt get you a spot picked out and keep it moist not soaked and make a small organic compost pile including leaves and wait about a week the worms will be there.

6. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    Adrian, it is to dry right now around our area. When it is moist look for places were there are lots of oak trees and underbrush. There must be many leaves on the ground. Rake the leaves back in the low spots, ditches, depressions, ect. You will find Night crawler like worms just under the leaves. In addition, we have what they call sand worms. These worms will be 3 inches to a foot long. They have a hard spot in the head area, a BB. Sandy hillsides, look for worm dirt, you know the little pellets around worm holds. Dig there up to 18" deep, when we have moist soil around here. I am sure they are 12' deep here now.
    Jake

7. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Yeah I was gonna say find an area that is moist year round, like around a pond or a creek. I know its freaking dry over there - I was just there a few weeks ago. The worms have gotta be somewhere.

8. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I think I read somewhere here somebody said mix dishsoap with water and they will bubble up ???