How do you find "holes" without a depth finder?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Skunk River Cat, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Skunk River Cat

Skunk River Cat New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey fellas,

All of my fishing for catfish is done from the bank, as I don't have a boat yet. How do you find the "holes" on small rivers when you don't have a boat or mainly a depth finder?

I have read outer bends on a river, something about eddies, but I still don't really know what all this means or more importantly what it looks like.

H.D.

2. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    They sell these little gadgets at sportsmans warehouse in Ankeny . For 30 bucks you tie it on your line cast it out and it tells you depth!! Might check one out. Good luck to you!!

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    You can always tie a sinker on (no hook or bait) and cast to different areas and count how long it takes to hit bottom.

Basically, any time the current piles up against something - like say it is coming down a fairly straight stretch, then the river makes a turn, the current will pile up against the bank on the outside of the turn and dig it out a bit deeper. Generally, broad straight stretches are shallow, and narrow areas wtih turns tend to be deeper.

Also, if your river has riffles, the area below the fast water will generally be a hole, which gradually transitions into a run (kind of shallower and flat) which goes until the next riffle.

4. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    when i bank fish i use a slip bobber and set at different depths then drag it thill it floats up, keep throwing and you can get a pretty good idea of water depths and where holes actually are. lol
    boliver

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I look for cut banks in bends. If I see the bank is straight up and down on the outside of a bend, that tells me the current has been working it hard and it's probably deeper. Like someone said earlier, cast out and judge by how long it takes for your rig to hit bottom. Also, if it's a smaller river that gets low in the winter, take a walk around your favorite fishing spots with the river low and see what the bottom looks like. Good Luck!

Branden

6. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    Go to your local park office and get a depth map they are great!

7. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    if you have a dicks sporting goods by you they sell a wrist watch that is a fish finder and depth finder and it stays on your wrist. its pretty neet but will run you 100$ if you can get one try it out.

8. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    i just fish the outside corners of bends and where eddies are, that usually means theres a hole

9. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    when using a count down method the weight normaly falls at 1 foot per second.