How do you feel about Noodling?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by KansasKatter, Aug 22, 2006.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Since it is called something different all over the place, I am talking about "grabbing", "noodling" or whatever else you want to call it when you reach into a nest and pull out large catfish, leaving the nest with eggs behind completely unguarded.

How do you feel about this? Is it sporty, or is there any skill needed for it? In my opinion it is neither. I was just having a conversation with a co-worker and he pulled out a picture of about 20 flatheads, the smallest of which was 27# that they grabbed earlier this year, and guess what, they kept them all. Needless to say, I lost a TON of respect for this guy.

So, not only did they take 20 top of the line breeders off the nest, they also more than likely ruined any chance of those 20 breeders having any offspring survive for their final spawn. It is not legal in Kansas, but nobody ever gets caught. Personally I think it is dispicable in practice, and severely damages our trophy fish population. There is a reason the fish do not eat during the spawn, this is natures way of keeping them alive to pass on the genes it takes to reproduce larger fish, this can not happen with a bunch of guys grabbing them up off the nests.

I know this is long, and there are going to be a lot of noodlers or grabbers out there that will bash me, but that is just my opinion, and I wanted to hear other's thoughts on it as well.

2. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    Boy it took a pair to start this post lol. But kudo's to you man... as I am a bass fisherman also, I have had moral dilemmas with sight fishing them on bed- catch and release or not. Fact is there are a lot of variables with fish reproduction, and odds are stacked against eggs/fry without our help. I can only see noodling as the same basic thing. I am not familiar enough to know if it is *always* done while catfish are on bed, and so as I am not an expert I will flat out say I don't know enough of the details to say noodling is good or bad. But if it is, I feel the same, I dont like to mess with reproduction as it is the future...

catching and keeping one fish is losing one fish...
    catching and keeping a fish on bed is losing a LOT of fish...

3. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    DANGER, DANGER, DANGER..........

I think you may have just stirred the hornets nest. I respect your opinion and am a firm believer that you are entitled to your own, however you will learn quickly that a lot of people do not feel the same way as I.

This is a tough question though. If in all actuality this is destroying large fish population then yes, I believe it should be monitored. Regardless, I know little of noodling (we call it hogging here) therefor Judgement would be out of hast.

4. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Good post rep sent your way. I hope the next time this guys he catches none,

5. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Newalla, Oklahoma (Shawnee)
    Well Jeff I hope you don't lower your opinion of me and think I am despicable, but I have noodled. I actually enjoy it. I don't keep all the fish, but I do keep some. I eat them or feed them to friends at fish fry's. Some of them are most certainly on a nest with eggs. Some are not. The male goes in first and makes the nest, the female comes in and lays the eggs, the female leaves and the male takes care of the little flathead eggs until they hatch or whatever their fate may be. Just because a flathead is under a tree root doesn't mean it is on a nest. I was also saddened by the "friend" of yours who kept all of those fish. There are guys that go out and keep them all. That's up to them. I think it is a pretty good sport though. I have lost quite a few fish. It's not like you're grabbing a docile creature. They will hurt you if you are not careful. I guess it involves opinions. Flatheads are not considered a sport fish in Oklahoma. Hopefully, that will change sometime. I ahve sat and watched bass fisherman on tv fish nests. I guess it has a lot to do with how tolerant you are. Not everybody thinks about the "future". They think about right now. Some are feeding families and some are just bragging. I do enjoy noodling and have some very good friends that also noodle. I guess it comes down to what kind of person you are, and if you care about the future of something. Just my thoughts.

6. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    LOL.......I no longer answer this question.......Have fun

7. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    In my state of Missouri,I understand that fish and game are testing it out to see if it will end up being legal I guess.Why else would they do a test run on it so to speak.Anyway,I agree!I have seen it done on Fishing shows.There once was a fishing show and I believe it was Southern Fishing really the name of it escapes me but he was on tv every saturday morning and he would be in different parts of the U.S and fishing with people while the camra rolled.Well----------one Saturday am he was in a boat with a couple of men who were doing this and they brought up huge fish. What I seen seemed to me to be very dangerous cause in fact I am not a swimmer or a diver I do not posess those skills.However if I did I still don't think I'd be interested in trying it. As far as keeping the fish is concerned,if you're low income and you're trying to feed the family then some big fish would come in handy for the freezer,but if you can't catch them by trot line or rod and reel I'd just as soon they stay in the water.Now someone who is catching these big fish and he's not using them to feed his family then I would have to say that is wrong.
    Ok nuff said,I don't want to stir a hornets nest,but thank you for allowing me to give my opinion.------------pk powell:smile2:

8. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Whether or not you agree with me, or if you practice it, has no affect on how I will feel about you. I think I was not quite as clear as I could have been, what I am against is him KEEPING all of the fish, that were caught in this manner. Although I am against it all together, I am REALLy against the fact that all the fish were kept.

I would venture to guess 90% of the fish that are caught in this manner are indeed on a nest. In fact, all of the people that I know who noodle, only do it during the spawn. "It's to much work to find them any other time" is their attitude.

I knew I would catch heck for starting this, but like I said, it is only one man's opinion, and just looking for how others feel as well. If we were all judged by our opinions in life, nobody would like anybody, cuz heck, we have ALL disagreed about something with someone at one point in our lives or another! :smile2:

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    So you know of someone who violated the fishing regulations in your state and you're not going to do anything about it?

To me, that doesn't leave a lot of room for complaining...

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Yep, it is a difference of opinion. Noodling is a year round sport, and the fish are only on the nest for a short period during their spawn. I will agree with you, a lot of eggs are destroyed, a lot of fish will not be hatched. But, not to get religious, God seems to either increase or decrease a species population as need be. Guess some things, like do-do birds were designed to become extinct. Maybe catfish will some day also. But if that is to happen, it is his plan. He takes care of even minute details. That said, I also do not think the Departments of Wildlife in those states which allow noodling, grabbing, tickling or whatever you want to call it, would set by idle and let a species be destroyed. If a ban was needed, they have the clout to go to a state legislature and get a temporary or permanet ban against the sport. You must also remember that each of our 50 states are unique. I am sure Florida has more largemouth bass than Maine. So, the rules for bass fishing in Florida would be greatly different than the laws in Maine. Oklahoma enjoys a large population of blues and flats. Guess the climate agrees with them. And out state is very generous in the daily limits and in the manners of fishing (wether it is pole, juglines, trotlines or noodling). You say it is illegal in Kansas...which brings up the question...did you report these people to the Fish and Game commission. If not, aren't you sort of abeting their illegal activities. All this said, it does not matter to me if any state has legalized noodling or not...outlaws will still be outlaws.

11. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    hmmm.... how do i feel about noodling...well....i'm trying to find the words...oh yeah... I HATE IT!!!!!!!! :angry:

12. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I refuse to answer:lol:

13. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    As much as I dislike it, there is something I dislike even more, and that is a tattle tale, or a rat, or a fink. I did not report him, for one reason, he is a good friend, and like I said, I am not going to hold it against him on a personal level. Besides that, what is the game warden or wildlife department going to do? They are going to ask me, "Did you see the action take place? Do you know where the action took place? Do you have proof of the action taking place? Do you know the names of all those committing the act?" and all I will be able to say is no, no, no, and no. I simply told him I thought that was bullcrap, and they should not be keeping that many big fish, and next time he called that fishing, to please distinguish from FISHING, and this crap, cuz in my opinion, that is NOT fishing. And yes, that is exactly what I told him.

There are probably a thousand miles of rivers in Kansas, and who knows how many acres of State Lakes that the KDWP is responsible for, they are not going to pay any mind to a person calling and reporting 3 or 4 guys noodling on the river one night. That is the least of their concerns at the moment.

So once again, I am NOT complaining, I am stating my opinion on noodling, and looking for others.

14. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Until someone posts some credible(published) data that "noodling" is more detrimental to overall flathead populations than other LEGAL methods of harvest, then I will continue to consider posts like this just another BOC "ideological pissing match". Don't you all ever get tired of this crap???

15. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    That would be "published"................... as in a Scientific Journal.

16. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Let me wade in on this as I have been on both sides of the fence over my lifetime of fishing for cats. With our present river conditions of low water I saw alot of big fish being caught out of holes by hand and lines in a very small sections of our small rivers. How many years will it take to deplete the gene pool of our larger fish befor someone say hey we screwed up and didnt regulate this enough. Missouri is in a 3 yr study to determine if handfishing causes harm to our populations of catfish. We are also trying to get a trophy status put on Flatheads and Blues to be able to have someday a World Class Fishery on our lakes and rivers.I know I would love to be able to take My future grandchildren out to catch a fish of a lifetime and if we do not act now we may not be able to do so. We do not have enough Wardens to patrole all our waters now to take care of fish hogs and with the added pressure of pulling large fish off the nest when they are most available whats gonna happen?

17. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    lol i seen it done but here in south texas theres to many alligater so i dont think i will be trying it. good luck and please be carefull if your goin noodlin:wink:

18. uptoolate

uptoolate New Member

State:
    Canyon Lake, Texas
    I don't think it's right during the spawn, but any other time let them risk grabbing a snake or beaver or whatever to catch a fish, otherwise invest the 30 or 40 bucks in a pole, and trotlines (premade) are pretty friggin cheap.

19. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    that is the only time to noodle is during the spawn. thats what the fish are doing in the holes and stuff. protecting their nest. it's not right. it's just not right!

20. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Im not sure I like the idea of pulling cats off the nests but its been done for years here in Kentucky. There are still plenty of cats to catch it seems like. To each their own, but it aint for me.