How Do you enhance Your Catfishing Baits?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Gone fishin 4 kittys, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I was just wondering what some of you guys do you enhance your baits. Like adding Garlic Powder or Vanilla, What is some of the crazy stuff that works:confused:

Thanks For you Input!

Josh

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i really dont enhance mine at all, but i carry a bottle of anise extract to give my baits a little extra "kick" when things are slow. i get mixed results. 'bout 6 years ago a freind and i went to a spot on the river and i cast out 1 pole with a chub head. i we nt on a "walkabout" a while later and came across a gallon can of this stuff called "Kroil" that got washed up on the bank. my freind said it was an industrial strength WD40, so, me being bored, reeled in the chubhead that had been sitting soaking up water for the last hour and dipped it in this stuff and casted it back out. i wound up catching 10 big channels on that until the head came off. i tried another peice to no avail, must have caught them all out of there. i still have the can of Kroil but never tried it again. might have to this year.

3. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Josh about all I use is fresh bait or cut bait. The best enhancement that can be done as far as I am concerned is keep it fresh on your hook by changing it every 30-45 minutes. Occassionally, I use the frozen shad and I add garlic to that. If I am fishing with shrimp for Channel cats, it gets the Vanilla. But like I said...if fresh bait is available....thats what I use. Nothing is better than a natural scent that they are use to.;)

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I dont add anything at all to my bait. The only thing I do to my bait that I guess you could consider "enhanching" it is cutting it certain ways and hooking it certain ways. I never really believed in any kind of man made bait enhancers or anything, I try to stick to all natural bait. With nothing extra put on it. Although I might use menhadden oil every once in a while to put on my bait, that's the farthest I go. It dosent seem to make a very big difference for freshwater, it mostly works best for saltwater fishing. I have tried many "bait sauces" and what not and it has never made any difference for me. I just always go threw alot of trouble to keep my bait fresh, and that always works best to my benefit as far as the "bait" thing goes.

Good luck! Zakk.:)

5. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Fer the Flatheads

Sometimes I use a piece of cut bait on the same hook as the live bait. So far though it has not seemed to help much. Since just finishing a 35 gal live Shad Tank for my truck I'll try it again with live Shad with a piece of cut Shad and hope to see better results :cross: !

6. Thomas P. Conley

Thomas P. Conley New Member

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    Shoot I'll try just about anything to trick my bait out even my buddies dirty socks. Really once a buddy fell asleep and had his socks off because they were wet and I reeled in his pole and put a dirty sock on and recast it out. About 30 Min's. later he woke up and I said, "hey you better check your bait". WOW what a look on his face when he saw his sock on the end of the hook. We sure laughed about that one.

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    About the only thing I do is use some elastic thread to hold in the guts on a good piece of cut bait. That and we will use garlic liver on occasion.

On special occasions when fishin live bait I'll put makeup on the fish and dress it up real slutty! LOL!

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont put anything artificial on my baits, I want them to sem as natural as can be, although what dink said sounds interesting.

9. flatcatnightmare

flatcatnightmare New Member

State:
    south east Indiana
    about the only thing I do is I'll scale one side of my gills , or hook two gills on one hook so they agrevate each other and give off more vibration , as flats can detect that vibration

10. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    pretty much the same as the other guys,
    moslty natural presentation, if anything garlic
    my friend uses some syrup stuff

11. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    When I'm fishing w/ live bait I cut small slits on their sides, this helps them catfish find it.

12. GrainDrain

GrainDrain New Member

State:
    Texas
    When my dad was introducing me into fishing back in the day, he always brought along WD40 like dink said and a pack of Red Man tobacco. I dont chew or anything but i would still use that today, but i dont think i would ever do the WD40 again, i dont want to pollute the water.

13. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    hmmm never heard of usin tobacco as a fish attractant

14. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    When I am using eels, I cut about 4 inches behind the head and it will stay alive all night, putting blood in the water along with vibrations. I also use the cut pieces but I change them out more often to keep them fresh. So far since october I have caught about 15 fish over 40lbs using eels including 2 that buried my 50# digital scale. One of the great things about using eels is nothing can steal your bait since they are so tough. You can fish all night and catch many fish on one piece.

15. Brett2

Brett2 Guest

In a cabelas magazine, i have seen a type of fish marker that colors the fish (red,orange,yellow,etc.)... It is to make the fish more visible. You could do it to a minnow and I would imagine it could stand out like a goldfish would. Has anyone ever tried this or have any thoughts on it?

16. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Guys,

Thanks for the input! I really only use garlic on my liver. But it's always interesting to see what other people do.

What flatcatnightmare is saying is interesting I think that i might try that..

Guys you don't wana use WD40 that would pollute the water alot. But to each their own :):)

Josh

17. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    If i'm using cutbait i wont add anything but if im using beef liver then i will cut them into cubes put them into a tupperware box and add garlic(powder or minced) and easy mac chese powder. If i'm using bacon, shrimp or night crawler i'll use WD-40 and some of that Garlic or Anchovy gravy scent(you can buy it at wal-mart or basspro they work GREAT!!! )

18. TerryD

TerryD New Member

State:
    Old River,Texas
    fishing the rivers and lakes here in SE Texas I keep it natural I use fresh shad because that is the forage fish that they are use to eating I have tried garlic,vanilla and the likes but I still think that natural is the way to go just keep it fresh

jm2c

19. sphinxman

sphinxman New Member

State:
    ohio
    I put kickin catfish on my bait and it works very well.

20. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    sometimes ill take a jar of that minced garlic not the dried stuff. i cut my livers up get rid of the blood and mush and add the minced garlic. i also take anise oil add a couple drops if im not usein garlic