How do you drift for blue catfish?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Branj796, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am curious as to how other fisherman drift for blues. What rig? Pole? Reel? Speed? Line? Weight? Hooks? Rodholders? bait? Bait set-up? Drift sock or trolling motor? As much info as possible. Always looking to learn something new about catfishing. Thanks

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Jake,
    How long is a piece of string???

That is a big question you asked. A lot depends on where you are fishing....lake or river, deep or midwater, windy day or calm day, current or no current.

Do a search for "drifting". There is a lot of info on here...W

3. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    What I do most days. I use 6-10oz of lead depending on current and wind as to how heavy. As i dont want drastic swings in the bait. Dont mind drastic I guess I just want it to come right back to verticle. I never use less than 6 though if im drifting verticle. Also what I have found to be criticle for me is to make sure that ALL of my sinkers are the same size. So that every reaction from every rod is the exact same. 16-36" leaders. If im dragging I make my slinkies, any where from a 1/2oz up to 2oz. with a 4-5' leader with a bobber on it to keep the bait up off of the bottom. Bobber size depending on the size of bait. I use 80# braid for every thing on the main line. Then depending on where I am fishing and if im fishing for food or trophies I vary my leader weight line. 10-50# mono depending on size of fish I am targeting. Generally its either 25 or 50# as I said though sometimes smaller. I use 8-10ott cirles for drifting and up to 10ott kales anchored. Just what I do.

4. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use the trolling motor 90% of the time to keep me right where I want to be. dont want the wind to dictate where I am going. If I am fishing a large flat where bait is piled then I will usually let the wind do the work and if it is strong enough then I will deploy a drift sock or 2. Sorry I forgot it the 1st time. Hope this helps.

5. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I like to fish vertical from the boat. I also use all the same size weights, I think it is critical. You don't want your lines to tangle. I prefer to use Tiger Rods with Shimano Tekota line counter reels myself. I have never seen anyone else really use line counters for this but I love it. If I am in 35' of water I will set one at 34', 31', 28' etc and see which gets the most action. If one depth works better I can adjust all to that depth. It also really helps when fishing an area where the bottom changes a lot. If your in 40' and all the sudden jumps to 28' you can adjust 4 rods in a minute and avoid hangups. For me circles are key. I am letting the rods do the hooking and if I see a rod double over I will reel in a few times before taking it out of the holder. I also prefer to use sinker slides with a clip with bank sinkers that way if the current of wind changes I can change weight without cutting line. Another thing I tend to do is use a two hook rig with two pieces of cut bait. In the days the river is barely moving I will try to use the troller at about .5 to .75 mph. If the river is really moving I will use the troller against the current to slow myself down, of course this needs you to add more weight.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  6. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Should be an interesting thread.
    I've been out on several different boats, with different pilots, and not one of them drift the same exact as the other guy. And they all produced great results ..

7. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I also do the same thing except I just use snap swivels as they are much cheaper and seem to work just as well, I think.
    " I also prefer to use sinker slides with a clip with bank sinkers that way if the current of wind changes I can change weight without cutting line." (Kitsinni)

8. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Please specify if you drift in a lake or river. I fish a lake mostly but wll be getting over to Mississippi river a lot more often.

9. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I fish both and fish them the exact same way.

10. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I fish rivers almost exclusively. I will fish a lake when the river is too high to safely navigate, otherwise I'm out on the Ohio.