How do you dispatch a catfish before cleaning?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by beeheck, Jun 1, 2006.

1. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    OK, I'm new to the keeping and cleaning catfish for a meal club and I had a miserable time trying to dispatch the catfish before I cleaned them. I used a metal bar like a tire iron and whacked the poor fish on the head about 10 times and it was still breathing and flopping around. Heck, I even felt sorry for the darn things. There has to be a quick, clean way of doing this but I don't know what it is. I used a hammer the second time and that was a little better but I don't know maybe I'm getting soft in my old age, it just seemed a little.... ahhh... rough? So, how do you kill your catfish before cleaning?

2. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    one quick stab in the top of the head, with your fillet knife. kills them in seconds.

3. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    ...........i just clean em......i've never been able to successfully kill one before cleaning so i just clean it on the spot

4. mwhham

mwhham New Member

State:
    kentucky
    shot them in the head with a shotgun lol

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Tip of the knife on top of the head. You hit that spot and will kill em almost instantly.

6. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    Right in the middle of the head real hard with the hammer.When thier fins strightin out and the tail twitches the fish will never feel anything again.I believe this to be the most humane way other than the 12gage-lol.I'm sure it's less messy than the gun:big_smile:

7. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

I agree ,one smack with the side of a 26oz eastwing will straighten them out ready for the filet Knife. Here is a couple pic's

Attached Files:

8. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana

im the same way but i have tried the knife thing and it seemed like they had some thick skulls so i had to skin them alive which i didnt wanna do

9. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Im in agreement with Stev-o. Quick head stab and your usually good to go.

10. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Violently at best. JUST KIDDING I DONT EAT CATFISH JUST PANFISH

11. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I can snatch the filets off a cat so fast he don't even know he is cut. At least not till you can read a newpaper threw his backbone. Vern

12. bartmccollum

bartmccollum New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I always cut off the tail right where the meat starts. I let them bleed out some before skinin'. The filleted meat is much cleaner tasting when they're bled out and cleaned of anything thats not pure white muscle.

13. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i keep an aluminum ball bat in the truck, and an old hammer (Hammer time!) under the cleaning table in the yard. i will say though, a "stab-and-twist" in the center of the head with a big knife kills them for good!

14. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    Like Bart said, Cut their tail off and let them bleed out. It removes 95% of the blood from ALL the meat!!

15. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    I used to use my fillet knife tell i broke the tip off one now i use a old ice pick.

16. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    I go into the brain through the eye socket.That way I dont break off my fillet knife.I learned the hard way on that one(7 stiches and a broke fillet knife!).

17. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I use a hammer, it is quick and non-messy.

18. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    I just go a head and do it, if their dead its easier and if their a live its a little more difficult, just use an old pair of jeans or something to keep from getting a spine in ya when hes thrashing around.

19. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    If I am keeping fish to eat I throw them on ice as soon as they are caught. By the time you get home they are fast asleep!!!!!!!!

20. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Throw them back!!!!!:lol: :big_smile: Just kidding just kidding ! I use a small childrens size aluminum bat.You must hit the right spot of course otherwise you will look like some kind of berserk bludgeon murderer to everyone else.The only drawback to the bat it the BOING sound it makes when applied.I used to follow a guide at Santee that uses the bat technique and everytime I heard the BOING resonate across the water I would mark the spot and record it so I knew where he was catching fish.It is amazing the depths of depravity we catfishermen will sink to.Electronic/acoustic surveillance at its best.:big_smile: :lol: he would have told me if I asked but some things are better done alone.:cool2: