How do you decide when is the best fishing times.

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by lawnman61, Jan 16, 2008.

1. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Do you use the farmers almanac or do you just know your rivers and lakes that well to decide when the fishing is the best or do you use the moon cycles or do you just go and hope for the best. Do you use different types of bait for different seasons ?
    Who uses a barometer to figure the best times of the day for fishing?
    What works best for you....:0a36:

2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Nah i dont use any of that junk.The best time to go is whenever possible.Some folks use that stuff and swear by it but you cant predict when a fish is going to bite and when there not.There are times of the year where it will slow down,like when there nesting but i wouldnt put to much effort into following moon cycles and that sort of thing but thats just me.

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I usually just go fishing whenever I can and hope for the best. However I do pay close attention to the solunar tables...... they have proven to be highly accurate for me.:crazy:

4. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    here in az, seems anytime during summer is best. but to me, best time is when i can get my line in the water. fish are there and have to eat sometime.
    gary

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    My thoughts on all that are don't let it all drive ya crazy. I myself watch the barometric pressure but that's about it anymore. Moon phases I don't pay as much attention to anymore since I've caught fish on any moon with no real evidence of a major difference. Full moon does bring in some smaller fish species up to shore for laying eggs so I guess that is a good factor also.

But all in all don't let it rack your brain. When ya got the time....thats the best time.

-Jim-

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I just go when I'm off work as much as possible. Outside of that I watch the graph, the water temp's, the wind and the birds to decide where I will set up on any given day.

7. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    When ever the ol broken down body says its time to go! or Momma is ready to fish too :wink: If a feller could pin-point when the fish are eating and the deer are walking under the stand he would be mighty wealthy and could probably also walk on the water....... :wink:

8. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I usually determine whether or not it's a good time to fish after about 8 hours on the water. :smile2::smile2: Give me another 50 years of fishing and I might be able to have a guess before hitting the water.

9. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I keep an Access database to track my trips but after a couple of years I know what river levels and weather patterns I like. I keep an eye on the river levels and what it's doing. I fish any time I can, but some conditions make me more optimistic than others. I pay attention to the moon, but more for knowing how much light I'll have to run by than for the fishing:smile2:

I'm not discounting moon phase, barometer, etc, but there's no substitute for plain ol' time on the water. As I said above, I'll fish any conditions and any fish I catch on days where I don't have very high hopes I count as a learning experience. Good Luck~

Branden

10. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I believe in the water temps and wind direction and were the birds are on the water, I watch alot of that type of things going on myself.
    I find it very interesting on how everyone else knows when the best times are for the best fishing.

:big_smile:

11. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I just go when I can, but, I do believe that the moon, barametric pressure, and all the other things that have been mentioned can have a play in the right situations. For example; Rivers rising or falling can have an effect on at least the location you need to pick to fish,; The moon phase can have an effect, especially when it's a full moon or no moon at all. Especially on lakes and still waters. But, I think, that barametric pressure has the most effect. I know that if you can go when a front is moving in I usually do really good.

12. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I pay more attention to the wind than the moon .I want the wind blowing in to where I fish. I fish almost everyday so the wind makes the determination where i fish.

13. LandsCats

LandsCats New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    You know I have never thought about this one. It is kindof weird though, there are times that I say na not going out tonight and some freinds go out and nothing. Then it most be like I feel something pull on me and I can hit the river and bang fish on. Kindof weird. Not saying I catch fish each and everytime out but there are very few times I don't land something over ten pounds.

14. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    when i was a young boy my dad told me that fish dont bite ever day.no matter what the day is like they just dont bite ever day.as i grew older i figured out how to over come this dilemi.in stead of going when i thought the fish were biting i just decided to go ever day that way im there when they do bite.

15. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Wish I could say that. :big_smile: I guess it just takes time. I've only been hunting the big blues since july/august of 07'. And I've had MORE than my fair share of Skunkings.

16. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    A skunked day of fishing is still better than a good day at work....lol

17. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Now my grandfather used to swear by the wind.He would say"if its blowing out of the east they bite the least if it blows from the west they bite the best". Not sure its true but sounds good dosent it?:roll_eyes:

18. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    After careful research on that matter, I've come to the conclusion the best time to go fishing is anytime I am able to go. A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work.

19. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I only fish days of the week that end with the letter Y.:big_smile:

20. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    ok i belive the wind thing and the use of a glass coke bottle in a glass mayo jar half filled with water ,if the water is high in the bottle fish are biteing the baramatric pressure thing . well there is one more but my brain just burned out .