How do you deal with alligators?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by veryama1975, Jan 17, 2008.

1. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    It is a dream of mine to go fishing in some of the prime catfish waters in the Southern states...states which are in the area that alligators live. The wife & kids & I move around often because she is a travel nurse & takes short term assignments. Nurses are highly in demand so we can pretty much decide to live in any area of the country we want & I would love to try out some of that great catfishing you southerners have. I don't have a boat and do all of my fishing off the bank (mostly at night & by myself) & I have a real phobia about an alligator dragging me in while I'm close to the water.

I was living in the San Antonio, Texas area for about three months last fall and fishing at night. San Antonio is right on the edge of the gator populated areas of TX & I would hear stories every so often about a gator sighting. So even though I never saw a gator the whole time I was there & knew that an encounter with a gator was highly unlikely I was nervous every time that I went near the water...especially at night! If I didn't love cattin so much there is no way that I would have been out there.

I would love for us to take an assignment somewhere in the deep south because of great catfishing yall have down there. But when you actually do see alligators a lot & have a very good reason to be nervous how do you deal with it? I couldn't very well fish bankfish from 30feet away from the shore:)

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    move to illinois, lol. those cpr guys will be here to rip up those gators soon enough. thell run em off. :wink:

3. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Honestly, its a chance your gonna have to take especialy if you fish at night since it will be even harder to see them. Generaly the small ones will be afraid but the bigger th gator the more brave they will be. Of course if you have a big dog they would alert you of a gator, me personaly would not take the chance especialy if it involves taking a child. Get a good size boat to do your fishing from.

4. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    id cut um up into 1 in. nuggets and deep fry em in peanut oil and dip in honey mustard sauce :big_smile: :cool2:

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Just knockem in the head with a stump....LOL enjoy some fried gator:wink:

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I understand about phobias, not rational and all, so a rational response probably won't make a difference, but here goes anyway:

I live, work and play in an area with lots of alligators, from 1 foot long little cuties to 10 to 12 foot monsters, and I love having them around. They are virtually no threat to you! You have more of a chance of being struck by lightning or having a plane fall on your head than you do of being attacked by an alligator. Even the big guys eat mostly small stuff - like turtles, fish, and crabs. A racoon is big game to an alligator. If you are concerned, about the only thing you have to remember is to stay out of the water. They will not comne out of the water to attack you, but if you blunder into one in theater, then they may hit you in self defense...

A man was attacked at Lake Moultrie last year and had his arm ripped off, but it was exactly one of those situations. First of all, realize tht this was big news - and that in itself should tell you a lot. In a state of hundreds of thousands of people that live and play in and on and around the water constantly, this is the only documented gator attack in many years! The man was a swimmer and out on a rough windy day, so he dicided to swim in a quiet cove away from thw waves. All of the locals knew that that cove was home to a massive gator, but apparently he did not. Anyway, apparently he got too close to the gator (their normal response to people is to quietly sink to the bottom and wait for you to go away), and the rest is history. The cops came and shot the gator and removed the arm from his stomach (once he ripped it off the guy and it was in his mouth, I guess he figured, what the heck, tastes liek pork!). I heard the man is recovering well.

I actually hooked a gator on a live sunfish a couple of years ago - about a 5 footer. I managed to fight him to the boat, then he decided to leave and the 15 pound test popped. I also had a little guy - like maybe 3 feet - keep me company while fishing on the same river last year. I had one float rig out and he kept chasing the bobber around.

Don't worry about the alligators. You are not on their menu. Be smart and don't get in their way, and you'll never have a problem.

7. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Take some annoying kids fishing with you. dont forget the rope and cinderblock. You can bait the gaters to one spot so they dont spook the cats in the spot your fishing in. I hear theyre less likely to go after a big meal when several smaller, easier meals are available. Pick the right ones and your helping lower or keep in check the state tax rates.

8. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    like said above they are not a threat unless u go in the water w/them. The only time we had one come close wasw/a stringer of fish on the side of the boat, easy pickings i guess, but other than that they will stay in the water away from u, if u run into one on the bank just leave him be, find another spot & he will go in he water!!!!!

9. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    Welcome to the Forum Matt.

I can't help you out much on the subject as we do not have gators where I live. But if you know they are present in the waters your fishing I would also be a bit nervous & cautious. Especially if you were to bring your little ones.

J

10. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    Just about everything I've read over the years about American aligators suggests they are much more afraid of you than you are of them. I know where there's a few and I can't get within a hundred feet before they dissapear.

11. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    dont be such a wuss!!!

gators aint no more dangerous than snakes, in all reality snakes are prolly more dangerous down here. niether one will mess with ya unless you try to poke it with a sharp stick. i have been fishing,tubing,swimming,and everything else "ing" around them my whole life. i cought 3 alligators last spring. 2 on buzzbaits, and 1 on cutbait. i like the gators. they are prehistoric monsters of the murky swamp. kinda like good luck charms to have them around. obviously i wouldnt tie a dead chicken around a kids neck and throw him outa the boat, or even hunt with a dog during the early teal season in sep. but, all in all i have wade fished all around them. they wont hurt ya unless they have to. just dont feed them.

apparently noone has told you about the real threat from fishing the catwaters of down south. skeeters and yellaflies!!! you better bring enough chemical bug spray to make homeland security nervous.

of course i would be scared to fish up there where you live. yall have ice.

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I don't know much about gators, but I understand they don't have a preference in white or dark meat. :smile2:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Ok JD this just doesnt sound right :smile2::crazy::big_smile::tounge_out:

14. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    I watched a documentary on tv a while back about 2 or 3 different people in Florida who were taken from the edge of the water by alligators. They weren't in the water. They were on the bank.

15. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    From what i've seen (on tv) their 1st instinct is to grab what's on the bank cuz they think it's an animal coming in for a drink, therefore an easy target for a meal since they can hide so well in the water...remember (we) are going into their habitat, and they are protected in alot of states so watch what u do to them in ur situation there could be a hefty fine for messing w/them...

16. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i have the same fear about bears and we have plenty of them here.i deer hunt squirel hunt,and coon hunt at night.you have to weigh you fears against your desire to hunt and fish.scaried or not i for one aint gonna let the bears decide what i do.i fish milwood lake in south arkansas and theres plenty of gators there.i fish from the bank and have seen plenty of gators big and small but have never been bothered by them.i think people feeding them and removing their fear of humans would be your only problem.ps dont take your dog or small children around the gators at night.they will take dogs in a hurry.

17. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    idea when you go fishing at night, take a 357 or 44 magnum revolver when you go fishing down there in the land of dixie. not only will it take out gators, dogs, snakes, wild boar or black bear but also will take out the people who go bump in the night not fishing these crazy people is the ones i would be worried about:big_smile:

18. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    they tell every fishing out in the rocky mountains to carry a 357 or a 44 revolver out west because of lions, bear and wolves. good idea down south for the black bears and gators down there veryama just a thought

19. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would choose other waters to fish and leave the gators to the south. I CPR all catfish. I don't think the gator would CPR me.

20. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I've fished over 20yrs in Florida along side the gators and have never had a problem. I've walked up on them many, many times and they " usually " go the other way after seeing you. There will be a huge splash that will scare the crap out of you, LOL. And trust me, them suckers blend in real good.

Don't bring a dog ...it will get ate.

Do not go near them at all when they have babies....they WILL attack you.

Avoid infested gator waters that are affected hard by droughts. If they are hungry they will attack a human.

Like others I worry more about the snakes and mosquitoes. The gators are a beautiful critter. I've always loved the foggy mornings in Florida listening the the gators growl or spot lighting them at night. If you have never ate gator I really suggest you give it a try, its very good. The fishing around them is a pain sometimes, avoid a bobber if you can because the small gators like to eat them. Honestly if there is a few gators in a spot I don't catch a thing....never have. Also there is tons of turtles, gator gar, and bowfins that you will have to deal will.

PS don't forget that gators can run really fast in a short distance, LOL.

-Jim-