How do you cut your Shad for bait?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Boomer, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I usually use heads, body, "steaks" or fillets. But in swift running water, I like to use whole headless shad bodies. I was fishing below an outlet and was fishing with an older fellow, I had a net and was getting the shad and he we were both using bodies, but he was catching 2 times as many fish as I was. I couldnt figure it out until he showed me what the called "the proper way to cut a body".

Instead of cutting straight and making a 90 degree cut at the head, start at the head and make a 45-60 degree cut toward the anal fin. Then place your hook thru the portion of meat up by the head. The 60 degree cut will catch the water and make the piece of body look like it is swimming in running water. The 90 degree cut does not have hardly any action. Next time you are using Shad in running water check it out.

2. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    That is a good piece of advice, I will try that out next time. Lately I have been putting the shad on live, then once they have died on the hook without any bites I will fillet down each side without completely cutting the fillet off, this way seems to open the gut cavity release blood and also leaves a thin fillet fluttering in the current...or maybe the dead fish just sits there in the mud at the bottom of the river, I have never dove down there to find out.:embarassed:

Bill

3. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Great piece of info. Makes a lot of sense and I will sure give it a try... Thanks

4. elizabuilt

elizabuilt New Member

State:
    Norton, OH
    do you start at the top of the fish and cut at an angle towards the bottom? Or from the bottom to the top?

5. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I start at the top of the fish toward the head, I leave the guts and the belly in the head portion, hope this helps.

6. elizabuilt

elizabuilt New Member

State:
    Norton, OH
    thanks Boomer, I tried it tonight and the results were great. I did it backwards, but none the less caught 2 nice fish 26" and 28" with the heads. They were feeding hard on shad tonight. I had chicken liver, shrimp, and shad. I only caught fish with the shad. My last chunk of shad got wasted on a bowfin, so I cut him up for bait, but had no bites with him.

7. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    So how do you hook the shad?
    Side to side, top to inside or inside to top?

thanks for the info
    just