How do you "cut" your cut bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Grimpuppy, Aug 23, 2007.

How do you use your cut bait?

1. Cut off head and tail

2. Use fillets

3. Use them whole

4. Use the heads

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I am just curious how everyone cuts up their bait. I usually cut the head and tail off a shad or chub and fish with center part. I will also put the shad head on a line. Never have caught anything but gar off the chub head. I don't know why cats don't seam to like them. Is this the way everyone does it or do some of you fillet them and use the sides?

You can pick more then one answer.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Depending on the size of the bait fish, I always use the head with part of the gut pocket, the center section with gut pocket, and sometimes part of the tail section, but I usually discard the tail. The head with gut pocket is usually the best part of all for me, with the center section running a close second.

3. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    it all depends on what I am using, I haved used all techniques listed, some quillback I caught this summer were big enough to filet and cut into strips. I did not vote, but I would could choose all if I could.

Aaron

TA2D

4. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    The best part of bait for me is the head, whether it be shad, bream, whatever I might have at the time. I have caught 2-3 on the same head before I change it. The middle part produces good but the tail has never produced a fish for me. I do sometimes fillet one side of the bait. That has worked well also.

5. jwillie

jwillie New Member

State:
    texas
    i like to filet one side use that side one 6,0 hooks,if to big icut in abig chunks i cut head off and use it.use it by it self.leave guts on other side of filets.thanks for listening

6. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    When your using the head hook it thru the eyes or lips then step on it and crush it, seems to work better but you need to rebait more often if its a slow bite to keepum fresh. I think one of the keys is to keep it fresh.
    Loop

7. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    if i am using the heads i like to hook the on top, from the back to the front with the hook point coming out right in between the eye balls. i seem to get much better hook ups this wat. if i am using them whole i like to hook them right in front of the anal fin. that way they dont bury their heads in the mud.

8. CATFISH1998

CATFISH1998 New Member

State:
    Westerville,Ohio
    I like to cut the back tail off. They stay alive for a long time an they move around a lot.

9. John(Bullhead)Hagen

John(Bullhead)Hagen New Member

State:
    ILLinois
    :smile2:We use allmost all creek chubs and fillet one side up to the back of the head then cut striaght down,this leaves the head hooked to the fillet.then use other fillet that has tail hooked to it.Stick hook threw mouth and out of throat 8/0 circle hook.On other half we stick hook thru top of fillet and back thru were hook point is so fillet lays striaght on hook and line.

10. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    when I cut bait I use the entire fish. I cut it into hook size sections. I think the next time I do I am going to try filets. Blent the guts and put them in the bag with the filets

11. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    I usually let the fish decide I've seen it where they would only eat the bait if it was dressed just right.

12. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL

I agree.. Last year,for me at least, fillets outfished pockets, heads, etc.. This year, whole or just the tail cut off seems to be producing more... Best think to do is throw out multiple choices and see what they want..
    When I cut the tail off, I angle the cut across .. Tip of knife behind dorsal find, angled down with the bottom of blade towards the tail (Hope that makes sense)

13. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I like using the head and the mid section for dead bait .but i like taking live bluegills and cutting the back tail fin off. puts off alot of blood and they seem to stay alive for a pretty good amount of time

14. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I use head, midsection, and tail. They all work and there is no need to throw away bait, especially early in the night. You can end up regretting it later on in the night(I speak from experience).

15. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    depends on how big the bait is if ya ask me

16. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    You really need an "all of the above" answer.

I have done all of the above at one time or another depending on the tyoe of bait, size, and size fish I'm after.

About only generalities are:
    1 I usually like for the bait to have some guts included
    2 Dont' like plain tails much

17. Big Cat Hunter

Big Cat Hunter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I generally take a small live bait (6 inches or so) and cut the tail off and fillet down one side. This makes him bleed and also releases more scent into the water.

18. SunburntAgain

SunburntAgain New Member

State:
    Tulsa, OK
    I cut my bait with what is known as a "maja cut" to some East coast striped bass anglers. I take the shad (or preferably skipjack herring) and cut from the back of the head straight down to the pectoral fin, then cut downward at an angle ending at the base of the bottom of the tail. The Idea is to leave the head intact with the gut pocket attached. My second favorite cut is to take a crossection about 2-3" long directly behind the head from a 12-17" shad. This section will include the heart and other vital oragns if taken propperly. These are the baits I use to catch blue cats over 30 lbs.

19. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I have better luck with cut sides. I have tried the fillets but didn't seem to be as affective as cuts. If you use the heads be sure and leave about 1/4th of the body with it. This will help increase the odds. I hope this helps.

20. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Can you freeze the leftover cut-bait for the next trip??