Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
13,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mustard......most people either love it or hate it.

I myself enjoy a variety of mustards, and normally keep several different types on hand for sandwiches, salads, and use in cooked dishes.

Did a l'il look see into the refrigerator a while ago, and right now I have the following: yellow, spicy brown, Dijon, whole (coarse) grain Dijon, and southwest mustards. Also saw some light honey Dijon salad dressing in there. Horseradish mustard is good, as well as honey mustard.

What's your favorite kind of mustard?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I like them all, to include a german mustard. When I was stationed in germany I tryed to enjoy many of the customs and cuisine.

Mention German mustard and most people will immediately think of a condiment that is mild and sweet, but this is a misconception - or at least only part of the story! In fact there are four different types of German mustard. Germans don't choose their mustard based on personal taste, but according to the dish it will accompany.
  • Extra-hot mustard is paired with cold meat products and sandwiches
  • Hot mustard is served with grilled sausages
  • Mild mustard accompanies leberkäse and other kinds of pâté
Sweet mustard is the ideal companion for Weisswurst and other mild German sausages, and is most typical of Bavaria
Mild and sweet mustards are made from ground black or brown mustard seeds. Dark in colour, this mustard has a vinegar and sugar base, but sometimes the vinegar is diluted with water to prevent an acrid taste. Some mustards are sweetened with honey to make them even smoother.
What mustard will you find on a table in a German brasserie? Here's a way to distinguish German mustards without having to call over the waiter: hot and extra-hot mustards are pale and look more like Dijon; mild mustard ranges from yellow to brown, while sweet mustard is distinctively dark since it's made with brown sugar.

·
Registered
994 Posts
A little dab will do me.

I'm a catsup guy.
That's Brylcreme that you're talking about,"a little dab will do ya." I don't know mustard might work as a hair gel. I never did care for that messy kid stuff myself. I prefer the dry look. "And that's all I have to say about that!"

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
If you need to cut the mustard you need to throw it out and buy a new jar cause you left the lid off of it. Gouldens is the mustard of choice on my side of the family but my wife always gets frenches or storebrand. Im not a mustard person.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I don't cut the mustard as well as i once did .I still sure can cut the cheese

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Depends on what Im eating. I like hot mustards on Bratwurst and kilbasa sausages and Corned Beef sandwiches. I like honey mustard as a dipping sauce also.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
My favorite is Plochman's regular yellow mustard. I dont have that vinegar taste. As far as cutting the mustard Ive never done that but can cut the cheese a few different ways. :wink:

·
Registered
10,792 Posts
I like yellow on a samich ,Spicey brown with Corned beef or Pastrami. and honey hot for a dipping sauce with summer sausage an sharp cheddar.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I like alot of different mustards but if I had to pick one favorite it would be spicy brown, I grew up eatin it on sandwiches and still love it. We used to eat tomato sandwiches, just bread, fresh garden tomatos and gulden's spicy brown mustard...yum yum...:wink:

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I can still cut the mustard but I always was better at cutting the cheese,and still can cut a pretty fair chunk of cheese! Whowee!!!!!!!:eek:oooh:
I cut the cheese today, must have been some french cheese cause the wife turned colors and started talkin another language with her hand over her mouth. Wonder what she said.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.