How Do You Cut the Mustard?

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Catgirl, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Mustard......most people either love it or hate it.

I myself enjoy a variety of mustards, and normally keep several different types on hand for sandwiches, salads, and use in cooked dishes.

Did a l'il look see into the refrigerator a while ago, and right now I have the following: yellow, spicy brown, Dijon, whole (coarse) grain Dijon, and southwest mustards. Also saw some light honey Dijon salad dressing in there. Horseradish mustard is good, as well as honey mustard.

What's your favorite kind of mustard?

2. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    A little dab will do me.

I'm a catsup guy.

3. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    I like them all, to include a german mustard. When I was stationed in germany I tryed to enjoy many of the customs and cuisine.

Mention German mustard and most people will immediately think of a condiment that is mild and sweet, but this is a misconception - or at least only part of the story! In fact there are four different types of German mustard. Germans don't choose their mustard based on personal taste, but according to the dish it will accompany.
    • Extra-hot mustard is paired with cold meat products and sandwiches
    • Hot mustard is served with grilled sausages
    • Mild mustard accompanies leberkäse and other kinds of pâté
    Sweet mustard is the ideal companion for Weisswurst and other mild German sausages, and is most typical of Bavaria
    Mild and sweet mustards are made from ground black or brown mustard seeds. Dark in colour, this mustard has a vinegar and sugar base, but sometimes the vinegar is diluted with water to prevent an acrid taste. Some mustards are sweetened with honey to make them even smoother.
    What mustard will you find on a table in a German brasserie? Here's a way to distinguish German mustards without having to call over the waiter: hot and extra-hot mustards are pale and look more like Dijon; mild mustard ranges from yellow to brown, while sweet mustard is distinctively dark since it's made with brown sugar.

4. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    That's Brylcreme that you're talking about,"a little dab will do ya." I don't know mustard might work as a hair gel. I never did care for that messy kid stuff myself. I prefer the dry look. "And that's all I have to say about that!"

5. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    yes mustard on everything :big_smile: :cool2:

6. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    If you need to cut the mustard you need to throw it out and buy a new jar cause you left the lid off of it. Gouldens is the mustard of choice on my side of the family but my wife always gets frenches or storebrand. Im not a mustard person.

7. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i cut the mustard very well thank you.

8. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I don't cut the mustard as well as i once did .I still sure can cut the cheese

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I pretty much don't cut the mustard any more. I just lick the jar.:wink:

10. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Pardon Me, But Do You Have Any Grey Poupon?

11. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Depends on what Im eating. I like hot mustards on Bratwurst and kilbasa sausages and Corned Beef sandwiches. I like honey mustard as a dipping sauce also.

12. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    One of my favorites is pastrami on rye or pumpernickle and yellow mustard.

13. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I can still cut the mustard but I always was better at cutting the cheese,and still can cut a pretty fair chunk of cheese! Whowee!!!!!!!:eek:oooh:

14. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Does any one know if you can grow and make your own mustard?

15. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

16. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    Gulden's Spicy Brown Mustard on Bratwurst or Italian Sausage grilled with onions and green peppers.

17. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    My favorite is Plochman's regular yellow mustard. I dont have that vinegar taste. As far as cutting the mustard Ive never done that but can cut the cheese a few different ways. :wink:

18. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I like yellow on a samich ,Spicey brown with Corned beef or Pastrami. and honey hot for a dipping sauce with summer sausage an sharp cheddar.

19. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I like alot of different mustards but if I had to pick one favorite it would be spicy brown, I grew up eatin it on sandwiches and still love it. We used to eat tomato sandwiches, just bread, fresh garden tomatos and gulden's spicy brown mustard...yum yum...:wink:

20. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I cut the cheese today, must have been some french cheese cause the wife turned colors and started talkin another language with her hand over her mouth. Wonder what she said.