How do you cut bait?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Hurricane, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Hurricane

Hurricane New Member

State:
    Arnold, Missouri
    When you guys talk about cut bait what do you mean? Do you cut the fish into chunks? How big? What part of the fish, fillets, whole body? I've never used cut bait so if these a dumb questions please bare with me.

Thanks, Chris

2. Missouricathunter25

Missouricathunter25 New Member

State:
    Weston, Missouri
    Chris,

I usually fillet my carp to use as cut bait. Sometimes I cut them into pieces for trot lining. I'm sure other boc members can help you out better. Hope this helps a little. Thanks and good luck. :big_smile:

Chad

3. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Depends on what I'm targeting. Bigger bait means you will catch bigger fish, and chances are you will only hook bigger fish.

Personally I partially scale whatever I'm using for bait. Go down the backbone to the ribs, then cut slices or chunks.

1x1" chunks work well for eater size cats and up.
    Caught a nice 10+ channel off what was mostly skin taken from the tail of a goldeye. 3" long, and 2 inches wide tapering down. I doubled over the wide end, ran the hook through it. It almost looked like a minnow when I put it out there.

I'm sure you will get lots of responses on how they cut shad. But from what I've read, you'll see everything from shad cut in half (opening the belly cavity) to fillets, to chunks.

We don't have shad up here in Dakota, my favorites in order, goldeye, sucker (or redhorse) then Carp.

Big creek chubbs would work well also if you can find them.

4. ozzyso44

ozzyso44 New Member

State:
    Smithville, Missouri
    Bluegill

# sections depending on size of bait.

1. Head - great bait and stays on - put the hook where exposed and not going to get caught up

2. Middle section (body and guts) you can also take and cut this down each side to make 2 sections with guts hanging out.

3. Tail section - will flutter and spin in the current

5. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    First of all welcome to the BOC. I also cut bigger shad the way Ozzy is cutting blue gill. I like the head first then gut pocket then tail. On carp I will fillet them out then cut different sizes of bait. Sometimes I like the bigger cuts but the small cuts will also catch bigger fish. I usually put different sizes out to see what the fish want. I just caught a blue around 75 to 80 lbs on a piece of cut asian carp that was about 1 1/2 inches wide and 2 1/2 inches long. Just remember to make sure there are no scales on the tip of your hook. This will prevent a good hook set or no hook set at all. Hope this helps.

Tom

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    When it comes to cut bait....I usually fish with the heads. Whether it be Bluegills, shad or skipjacks. Heads with guts hanging out. Put the hook through the guts and then through the head. Works great for me on Big Blues and channels. I mainly use live Bluegills for Flatheads.:big_smile:

7. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    Chunks ,fillets,strips,the head they all work good at certain times just let the fish tell you what they want.I pefer skipjack 95% of the time.Little 2" shad whole work well to even for biggins.:big_smile:

8. Hurricane

Hurricane New Member

State:
    Arnold, Missouri
    Great info, thanks everyone.

9. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Frist WELCOME to the BOC/SOC.Sounds like you got lots of good info there .I also learned some things from it. So thanks for asking and no it wasn't a stupid question.Only stupid question is the one not asked. So ask away.someone will have an answer for it.