How do YOU cut bait?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by JMarrs328, May 11, 2006.

1. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I was just wondering how everyone else cuts their cutbait. I mostly use bluegill and sunfish. I start by beheading them. Then I cut their bodies into sections maybe 1/4-1/2 inch wide. Then I put my hook through the thick meaty part on the back. Any suggestions, other techniques, or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

2. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    It depends on the size of the bait. If it is only 3 to 4 inches already, I'll just stick my thumb right behind there midsection and cut it into two. Leave some intestines hanging. Throw the tail away and hook them in one eye out the other. The bluegills are definately tougher than chubs. But I prefer chubs for cutbait for channels.

If it is a foot long shad, then I have to take the time to pull out the knife. I'll start on top right behind the gill and slice all the way down. Then I'll cut it into stakes kinda. I usually only cut them into maybe an inch or two pieces. I'm just channel fishing. When I hook them, I start in the meaty section and bring it back out through some skin. The skin is tough will keep the bait on the hook.

3. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I jsut cut shad into chuncks with a pair of scissors and the put it on the hooks. It hasn't failed me yet.

4. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    yeah i too cut my bluegill 1/2-3/4 inch wide but after i do that i cut those pieces in half and hook through the meat

5. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use a knife, LOL

6. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I'll take 7" or so shad and run the fillet knife down one side for an inch or two, then go down diagonally and come out the other side. Cut the tail off and throw it away, and cut just behind the head. You now have 3 pieces (head, one side about 2" long with the backbone in it and another side with a flap of skin/rib bones and solid meat just ahead of the tail), with a *lot* of exposed meat to ooze blood and oils. Stick all 3 pieces on a big hook, toss it in and hang on.

Cutting them into chunks straight through doesn't give as much exposed meat.

I believe I have better results when I can grab a live shad from the baitwell and cut him up, as opposed to a dead shad that's been on ice or frozen.

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    if im using green sunfish for cutbait ill cut off the head cut off the tail at an angle and hook it in the belly, bluegill i cut off the head the tail and the top fin then cut it in half lenghtwise shad ill do either

8. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    For bluegill, I'll cut it into pieces about 2 1/2"x2 1/2" and I'll cut the spines off the mid section. My favorite part's the head, because they seem to like it the best.

-Red

9. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i just use em whole for flatheads,but for channels and blues i cut the into sections about 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick.

that goes for any bait fish

10. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks for the input!!!:big_smile:

11. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I never knew whether I should use the head part or the tail part so a few years ago I started cutting the bait fish in half length ways and now I have the best of both worlds all the time. What I've found is that both pieces have a head and eye, a gut section and flash from the scales plus more blood from a long cut compared to a short side cross cut. Usually I will fish it with just one hook through the head but have been known to make a rig of two hooks and hook one in the tail section and then another in the head that way no matter how they take the bait I have a good chance of a hook up. Does it help, I don't know but my confidence level is high when I use either rig.

12. AllenM

AllenM Guest

When I'm out at the lake and looking for the 10+ pounders, I use a 4 or 5 inch bait fish, run the hook into the back right behind the head and back out near the dorsal fin, then cut slashed down both sides of the fish and cut a little opening in the belly to let the entrails hang out a bit. With bigger bait fish I cut them in half behind the dorsal fin, then slash both sections a few times on either side as above. Got my personal best last year (14 pound brown bullhead) off a head section if I recall correctly. I much preffer using fresh, but I've brought home some baitfush and frozen them for those days when I can't get out to the water until after dusk and it's too late to catch fresh bait fish.

13. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    all i basically do is cut a bluegill into 2 then hook the head