How do you cook your gills?

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by Larry Beever, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    I've always enjoyed frying my gills.They seem
    to come out great that way. But, How are the rest of you cooking this tasty fish? Do you have a favorite recipe to share? Have you baked
    or grilled them? Thanks for your replies in advance since for some reason I can't post "Thanks" or give "Rep". (I'm gonna address this issue with Louderback soon.)

2. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    We either fry them in cornmeal or cook them on the grill in aluminum foil with a little butter or olive oil, salt, pepper, and a dash of garlic powder. I like them baked too, but Bo prefers them the other two ways.

3. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Filay them,
    #1 way
    ** Fry them with flower, egg and beer,,,salt heavy "not nuts heavy" while hot after they come out...:wink:
    #2 way
    **In the oven with butter, garlic, and Mrs Dash,for about 1/2 hr on 350 wraped in foil" open up foil for the last ten to firm..:roll_eyes:

Also just my .02, gills are the best eating fish around, I eat them all but prefer Gills
    Puddle...:cool2:
    PS,,, Home made tarter sauce,, 1/2 mayo, 1/4 ketchup, 1/8 small scoop dill relish, and 1/8 little musterd, option Texas Peat hot sauce to spice it up..
    -kind of like thousand isl. But I grew up on it and love it...

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Dip sounds interesting but why ruin the fish :wink: j/k, All ways mentioned also, I like to put them in a baggie with minced garlic (just the right amount) and some good Italian dressing, to set over night, then grill them :dribble:

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Fried in cornmeal coating. I am thinking about pickling some just to try .

6. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Here is a good recipe,

2 cups boiled gill and deboned ( boil it in crab boil )
    1/4 cup finely red bell pepper
    1/4 cup finely chopped celery
    1/4 cup finely chopped onion
    1 egg
    1 cup bread or cracker crumbs
    salt and pepper to taste

Mix all together and fry serve with garlic mash potato's

7. jodster

jodster New Member

State:
    texas
    I use to always do the beer batter on about all my pan fish!! use flat for thinner batter. I moved to texas and went with a cornmeal batter premixed called cajun fish fry. I went to baking them in a toaster oven for self servings, my wife cooks them in the microwave. I see a recipe on TV to make Savachee' (pardon my spelling) with raw fish lime juice pick of the rooster (tomato, onion, cilantro, jalapeno) that I would like to try!!! I most always eat my fish baked, there never over cooked and all meat no batter. Deep frying fish it is to easy to over cook and uses a lot of grease. Oh, I almost forgot baked catfish with a potato topping (new favorite), I guess that's not blue gill though.

8. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Give a look to the BOC Diner thread on the Forum.

9. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    scale them fry real crisp with meal and salt eat like corn on cob justthrow back bone away every thing is good to eat. thanks Sam Davis

10. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Yep I am going to have to bring home some bluegill. I just have to get over catching bluegill and seeing catfish! I generally have bluegill i let go after fishing. I know this is one bait that taste great!:smile2:

11. jodster

jodster New Member

State:
    texas
    I hate the mess from scales, I clean my fish inside. I do miss the flavor of the skin and the crunch of the tail!!

12. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Seviche is great! It's like salsa but raw fish is added.If you search on line there are several variations of it. Here's a version of
    it that I got from my Mexican friends. The quanity of ingredients are'nt exact. Just like making slsa,it's important to sample it and then adjust the ingredients to taste.

Blue gill or Catfish fillets choppod very small (about a cup and a half of chopped fish)
    2 large tomatos (diced very fine)
    1 large onion (diced very fine)
    Cilantro (diced)
    1 or 2 Jalapenos (diced)
    1 clove of garlic (diced very fine)
    About 8 lemons or limes juiced

Put the chopped fish in a bowl and pour on the
    lemon or lime juice.Make sure the juice totally covers the fish. Stir the fish and the juice then cover the bowl and put it in the refrigerator overnight. The next day pour most
    of the juice off the fish into a small bowl.
    Then mix the fish with the remaining ingredients stir well. Add more of the reserved juice to taste. Salt to taste. Dip with tortilla chips.

With the carefull balance of ingredients this
    stuff is great! Try it!

13. stebo

stebo New Member

State:
    alabama
    :big_smile:hey fishing friends....
    i'm new here and didni't even realize i was accepted to join the site till now. with that said i do love to bream fish and i really like them deep fried. yello corn meal with a bit of flour to make the meal stick more to the fish. all the recepies sound great. happy holidays

14. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the best Fishing forum going.You will be happy you joined. feel free to look around.Dont forget the library! You will find good info in there.Post early post often.
    smokey

15. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thank you Sam, that's zactly the way we do it. I know for a fact that panfish (crappie, bluegill, sunperch, shellcracker, bass, etc.) are more flavorful 'cooked on the bone' than filleted.

Some folks just don't wanna deal with the bones; to each his own.

As far as cooking them; to fry I simply lighlty S & P both sides and roll in cornmeal and pan fry; I also like to, on occasion, boil them in crab boil, debone into chunks, chill in the fridge, and eat w/seafood cocktail sauce. It's as good or better than shrimp.

16. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Ive alot of different store bought batter and alot of them are very good. Golden Dip is one of the best. I also love using Pancake batter. Anyone ever tried that?

17. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if im hungry for fish and all i get are small perch or gills i scrape and fry whole with larger fish i fillet either way i dip in egg batter roll in yellow corn meal and fry.serve with cole slaw and hush puppys and pork and beans.

18. limted

limted New Member

State:
    indiana
    I scale them and eat them off bone fry them in flower :smile2:and corn mill mixture and lemon pepper there great

19. Bullfoot

Bullfoot New Member

State:
    Kansas
    i doht know about you but im ready to eat some gills!
    Good recipies thanks everyone.

20. jugfisher

jugfisher Member

State:
    kentucky
    Name:
    Clint Howard
    no matter how they are cleaned, i love them rolled in uncle bucks original from bass pro and deep fried 04-20-08_1716.jpg