How do you cook your Catfish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by TennesseeJugger, Nov 13, 2009.

1. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    I use a special blend of breading mix, peanut oil and an outside fish cooker. I cut the fillites thin and take them out of the oil as they begin to float....MMMMMMMMMMMM GOOOOOOD!

2. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I like to use cornmeal for my fried catfish..I like em whole too,skin em,whack the head off and gut em..I just think the meat is so much better off the bone.I like to put mustard in my eggwash too..

3. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    What is eggwash?

4. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    A couple eggs beat up with a whisk to dip your catfish into to get the cornmeal or flour to stick to the meat before you toss it in the fryer..

5. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    HMMMMMM I have always just used water, sounds good.

6. crappietime

crappietime New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro Tennessee
    Les that cajun comes out once again there ole buddy...:wink: I had a friend that told me about using the spicy mustard to rub on to fish fillets and said it was good.So I thought spice humm. I take a couple eggs mix them up with couple table spoons hot sauce and the mustard to the side on a saucer.Take the fillets out roll them in mustard then dip in the egg and then drop in a gallon size bag with cornmeal and shake it all about.Then drop into my hot oil deep fryer.When they float up have the tongs ready and take them out.Only drop a few fillets at a time in so the oil dont cool down to quick.

7. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    You da man Rick..You know exactly how we coon@$$e$ like it..Yeah they try to say around here that I'm a redneck now but I tell them no you couldn't beat the cajun outa me..

8. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    I am going to try some of that!

9. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i just fillet mine in strips or nuggets according to size of fish,corn meal & a little flour,flour helps it stick to the fish,salt & pepper,i have a gallon ice cream bowl,i put it all in,put fish in shake around,put in my cast iron pot on outside fish cooker,fry til golden brown in peanut oil.all the seasoning it needs,mmm good.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  10. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    Preston what size cast iron pot do you use?

11. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Skin them, gut them, cut the fins and tail off. Smother them with butter and shake a good bit of lemon pepper salt on them and rap them in tin foil and cook them on the grill until the butter starts seeping out of the foil. I like to put the whole fish on the plate and then use the fork to pull it off the bones. UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM UM GREAT!!!

12. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    my egg wash

half water half milk 3 eggs and a generous helping of cheap louisianna hot sauce and garlic powder

1/3 flour 2/3 cornmeal cayenne pepper to taste lil bit of sugar lil salt and a lil black pepper

deep fried in peanut oil , squeeze a lemon wedge over em when there done..then eat way too much get sick go to bed

13. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn

Been waiting to here your recipe.

14. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    my family has been in foodservice for EVER so i got a few...grandma wouldnt have it any other way lol..she said if i can find a woman i like but she cant cook then we are still ok LOL...glad she opened up the palyin field for me :smile2:

15. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    don i normally use one that holds a gallon of oil,but if its a big fry i have one thats holds about 3 an a half gallons with plenty of room for fish.it'll take a couple of years to get the pot good and seasoned.

16. coolbreeze70

coolbreeze70 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    I like to bake mine. Lay down some foil, rub some butter on it, garlic salt, pepper, Ms. Dash's, and anything else in the spice bin. Lay the fillet on that, some sliced onions and tomatoes, some more melted butter is poured on top and more seasoning. Close the foil up and bake. We usually do some sliced taters at the same time and same way minus the tomatoe slices. Or no taters but rice and lay the fish and all the butter and goodies from the foil on top of the rice.

17. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    My recipe starts off just like Jeffro's 1 part flour 2 part corn meal or 1 part flour 2 parts cracker meal is also great. season the flour/corn meal to your taste with Tony Cachers cajun seasoning.

In second bowl 2 eggs and a splash of milk if desired and season with the same spice mixture as the meal mixture.

Drop fish in the meal then the egg wash and back in the meal mixture.

Move to the fryer at about 350 until golden. I have done this on large scale catering and never had any complaints.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  18. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    that is basically how i fry mine and ouf favorite is shrimp and catfish etouffee, my older joke about going etouffee hunting if i'm taking them catfishing.I have another recipe that works better on striper soak your striper in louisana hot sauce no more than 5-10 minutes and use the bass pro hot and spicy cornmeal 2 parts and 1part regular cornmeal to tone down just a touch,and deep fry. For some reason doing this it sticks better to the striper versus catfish.I ain't no cajun but justin would still have been proud.:wink:

19. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    2 medium yellow onions, chopped
    1 green bell pepper, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 bunch parsley, chopped
    1 bunch green onion tops, chopped
    1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
    1 cup (8 ounces) water
    2 tablespoons flour
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 tablespoon black pepper
    1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
    about a 10lb freshly caught flathead catfish (skin,gut and steak it)

The best way to cook this is out on a campfire..The best catfish to use is a flathead catfish because it eats mostly live bait, resulting in a sweeter, less oily-tasting meat.Steaking it will help to keep the meat together..Put 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in a large cast iron pot. Put a thin layer of a mixture of all the vegetables..(save the green onions and parsley for later) Follow with a single, loose layer of fish steaks. Sprinkle some of a mixture of the seasonings and some of the flour on top of the fish. Drizzle some of the tomato sauce and water over the seasonings. Repeat the layering process, adding more flour, seasonings, vegetables, and tomato sauce as needed until there is no more fish left. Boil, covered, over a very low heat for thirty to forty-five minutes. Add the green onions and parsley and cook for another five minutes.DO NOT STIR!!Just pick up the pot and swirl it in a circular motion..If you try to stir you'll have a pot full of bones..Serve over rice..

20. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    in my egg wash i was putting some franks red hot in it and boy was it good!!!