How do you cook Spoonbills

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by spoonfish, Feb 9, 2009.

1. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    SMOKED:

One method is to keep the fillets in big chunks, inject them with a cajun injector. i like the spicy honey and bbq. Place a dry rub all over the outsides of the fillets. I use montreal spicy steak seasoning. Now place fillets on the smoker and smoke them on low heat for a couple hours. Dont dry them out, now place the fillets in foil and cover them with pace picante sauce. Seal the foil up tight and smoke for another hour or two. You will have to adjust your times for the size of the fillets.

Very good hot right off the smoker but I have also made the smoked meat into fish tacos with black or red beans, red cabbage and what ever else you prefer.

2. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    The last time I ate bill was 20 yrs ago gonna have to ask my unc how he cooked it cause it was delicious

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    As a kid growin up on the river, daddy sold what he could turn into cash,,,flatheads etc. We eat alot of spoonbill and buffalo. Only way i ever eat it was steaked and fryed. I guess it was aight, he raised 4 kids on it. Smokin em sounds good. I see em jumpin in Grand that look like dolphins, guess i outta try and catch one. Like Kenny, i ain't eat spoonbill in years.

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Just like any thing you cook. It's all in the processing and preperation ( Im sure I spelled that one wrong) :eek:oooh:

Anyone buy Mock crab from the store. :006:

Got some good fryin" recipes for ya guys. Simple enough we can do even. Lookin to see what the others do for recipes.

5. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm giving them away if I catch any. It's hard to mess up catfish and crappie. Much easier to clean and better eating. :wink:

6. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Troy, I use to always pan fry my paddlefish with yellow corn meal on it. Now I eat all my fish grilled. I use the McCormick's Lemon and Herb seasoning liberally on both sides. Get my electric indoor grille extremely hot first, spray it with and spray type oil like Pam, I prefer the lemon flavored kind. Place the heavy seasoned filets on the grille, close the top, set the timer on 10 minutes. Wallah grilled paddlefish filets. Vern

7. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    could have sworn i posted this here a few years ago but a search doesnt turn it up...

last spoonie i had my hands on i cooked it at least 4 ways.

one inch cubes pan-seared just like scallops, served with coctail sauce and lemon.

corn meal fried like catfish.

broiled in the oven

and i know there was one more method but i cant seem to remember. i know i used the same pan i seared the cubes in.. maybe i blackened a piece of it?

it was tasty. not as good IMHO as a nice flathead but still tasty.