How do you cook /fry your Rainbow Trout

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by somozajc, Feb 12, 2009.

1. somozajc

somozajc New Member

State:
    arizona
    I need a way of cooking these badboys.

2. jrack1

jrack1 New Member

State:
    mo.
    BAKED AT 350 FOR 30 MIN WITH BUTTER AND LEMON, POTATO WAGES (honey mustard),ice-tee AND cold slaw. I'LL Be THERE FOR DINNER.

3. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Normally just use'm for bait....

4. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Split open, dredge in seasoned flour and pan fried or on the grill with some butter, lemon and whatever seasonings you like. Usually no matter what you do with it, it's gonna be good...:wink:

5. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I've eaten plenty of pan-fried trout in my lifetime, but the last few times I've eaten trout it's been smoked. Mmmm good. :dribble:

6. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hi Folks,
    One of the things we use to was a real simple way,
    1. Dip in a mixed egg, dip, coat in crushed corn flakes, fry in olive oil, heated by alder wood!

Yummy!

7. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    I'm not going to be in the majority on this, but rainbow trout IMHO (as well as every other fish) ought to be Fileted or At least de-skined.

Many people I know admit that trout (esp stocked trout) have a 'fishy' taste. some like it and some don't. Some people detest it.

That fishy taste (in my experience) is all the fish slime from the skin (and to a lesser extent; slime inside the rib cavity). Do the normal thing with rainbow, brook or brown trout.. and you've marinated your meat in at fish slime. :tounge_out: Not at all tasty to think about.

Filet (preferably) or at least De-skin it , You've removed most of it from the meat. from there, I always dip in (seasoned) bread crumbs and egg and oil or bacon grease.

most people hearing this call me strange:tounge_out:. but it seems to make so much sense to me...:confused2: I will warn you that fileting trout isn't easy; there's a row of delicate, thin Y bones above the rib cage near the head.

Lastly, whether you buy my theory or Not, I am proud to say my wife does, adamently. She very strongly hates the 'fishy' taste and will not eat trout done up the normal way, and once when someone had her eat fish (done the normal way) she complained how much she doesn't like it. But she will eat MY fileted trout and while she doesn't think its the best tasting fish; she doen't complain.

and mainly there harmony when dad comes home with a catch, that mom and the kids look forward to. It definitely makes it easier to get out.

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Keep the heads on and salt, pepper, coat in flour and pan fry in about 1/4" of hot oil. Only flip once, the eyes are the thermometer, when there white and popped out give it a flip.

9. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I always just cut the head off, clean it, an throw it on the charcoal grill as is. Flip once. When its cooked the skin (and scales if you choose to leave them on) will just peal right off. Meat comes easy off the bones, just pick it off with a fork. Thats the easiest way I know, and I think it tastes real good that way and you can clean it down all the way to the bone with no wasted meat except off the head you cut off of course.

10. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I've never had caught any trout, but ate some in resturants. I normally like catfish baked in shake & bake of different flavors/seasoning. I don't understand why? But, baked fish don't leave a fishie smell in the house at all (by me), as compared to fried fish. Deep fried crawfish tails also leaves a smell even hours later. Anyone have a thought?

11. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    i'm with you, i fillet my trout

12. kcgmatt

kcgmatt New Member

State:
    MO
    Get a good smoke goin' on your grill, slit the bellies and clean out the innards, leave the heads on and throw em' on the grill and then when the eyes turn good and white and the skin peels easily..........ummmmmmm!

13. PaCatfishHunter

PaCatfishHunter New Member

State:
    Greensburg, PA
    I just pan fry them with the head

14. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I fillet mine usually, but I rinse all the slime off them. I leave the skin on. I usually am lazy and put em on a plate in the microwave till they are cooked and the meat comes right off, the skin stays on the plate, the bones come out, no problem eating. Seems to me the microwave melts all the fat off em, fairly good tasting.

My wife cooks em a little different and also uses some spices.

15. Labrat

Labrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    After I have fillet them and they are boneless, I will place lemon juice and mustard on the fillets then roll in your favorite corn meal mix and deep fry.. mmm Good

16. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I'm a big fan of fish, and I've tried a lot of different recipes. I eat my trout with the skin on, and I love it personally. I agree that smoking trout is fantastic too. However, I just ate some fried trout, and my recipe is similar to one mentioned here earlier. I use eggwash to dip them in, and then bread them in bread crumbs (seasoned, or regular) with your choice of spices, usually some garlic salt, seasoned salt, pepper, and ground red pepper. Fried in fairly shallow oil, and flipped once with a fork. I cut the heads off, and take the guts out prior to cooking. When its cooked right, you separate from the bones easily, and enjoy!!