How do you cook 'em?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by deepwoods, Aug 5, 2008.

1. deepwoods

deepwoods Member

State:
    north carolina
    I love to eat catfish but I usually cook them one way. Buttermilk-cornmeal/flower/salt/lemon pepper/ garlic/paprika, then 5-7 minutes in the deep fryer.

I am guessing there are some great fish cooks in the forum how about sharing??:smile2:

2. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I personally dont like all the additives cause I think they mask the taste of the fish. I just like to bread them with house autry and deep fry them while FRESH <---this is key.

3. cobra

cobra New Member

State:
    north carolina
    lard is the secret to frying good catfish and keep the temp at 365 degrees, use plain corn meal and plain flower 1/2&1/2 each get the fish as cold as possible dry and not frozen, dust them real good shake them off so you just have a light dusting, and make sure the catfish are 6 to 8 inches long with the tail and bones still in, then fry until light brown
    later

4. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    I have had fried fish almost all my life, then I came up with this healthy way go cook them.

Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
    Take you a tube of Ritz Crackers and put them in the blender until they are like meal.
    Spray Pam into a large PieRex dish.
    Mix your Ritz Cracher meal with what ever seasoning you like. Remember that the crackers had some salt on them.
    Catfish should be cold and damp, not dripping wet.
    Roll your filets in the cracker mixture and place in dish.
    Put about one tablespoon of butter on each filet.
    Cook in oven 10 minutes for one dish and 13 minutes for two dishes.
    Turn oven off and turn on the broiler on high for 2 to 3 minutes to crisp the top of the fish a little bit and get the moisture out.
    Let it sit ten minutes outside the oven to cool off a tad, then serve.

5. supra06

supra06 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Sounds good Mac, I'll have to try that.

6. baitnwait

baitnwait New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    One part flour to two parts cornmeal seasoned with Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning and deep fryed.
    Flathead breast marinaded in Lawry's Caribbean Jerk marinade and grilled.
    And here is one for striper fillets. Sprinkle with Cavender's Greek Seasoning and coat with teriyaki. Let set about 30 minutes and broil 3-4 minutes per side.

7. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    i like any fish, it don't matter what it is sept carp. I've tried may ways of cooking them, They are all good, my wife likes when i fry them up in butter and garlic, or put them in the broiler with butter and salt and pepper. I also bread and pan fry them as well. One way i like them is to smoke them. soak them in a salt water for a few hours, then let them drain for a hour then smoke them in apple wood and hickory mix. I done lots of fish this way. Brim and large scale fish you can leave whole just gut them clean them real good hang them and smoke them, peal the skin back and enjoy. Salt water fish smoke up real well.

8. btilley

btilley New Member

State:
    NORTH CAROLINA
    ritz crackers always make for a good addition no matter if you fry them or broil em

9. RandyH

RandyH New Member

State:
    VA
    try this out it is awesome
    take some flour backing power soysauce ginger(fresh) a little sugar salt pepper and mixx all together with water intill pancake like batter
    get some tempura fry (crunchy stuff)
    but small pcs of catfish in to batter roll it in the tempura and flash fry untill golden brown oh man this is awesome everyone will eat it so keep a supply of fish for yourself

10. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Heart healthy but gooooooooooooodddddddddd,

Clean dry fish fillets

make a tin foil pouch or use glass ovenproof pan and cover with foil

inside put one to two fillets
    sliced peppers
    sliced onions
    1/8 cup lemon juice, favorite beer, or white wine
    one teaspoon olive or vegetable oil
    salt and pepper or Miss Dash to taste(I use Lowery's Seasoning Salt)
    three table spoons Italian dressing

Bake at 350 for 30 to 45 minutes depending on thickness of fish.

You can seal up the foil pouches and throw them on the edges of a hot charcoal grill or camp fire.

:roll_eyes:

This has replaced fish fry at our house and camping except for special occasions.

11. deepwoods

deepwoods Member

State:
    north carolina
    ROS
    I have been trying to come up with a way of taking some fish with us when we go deer hunt. Half of the fun is the camping and the fire pit meals. Your recipe looks like it would be perfect vs firing up the fryer.
    Thanks!!

Jeff

12. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    It is surprising what is good cooked just that way. Fish fillets, shrimp, scallops, fresh trout.

:roll_eyes:

Just be sure to use the heavy foil on campfire coals. I usually take a little grill with folding legs that stick in the ground and rake hot coals under it. No need to flip it over as it is actually steaming or poaching the fish rather than grilling them.

:wink:

Take you a few ears of corn and wrap them in foil and a little butter. Put them on first as they take a little longer. Beware of overcooking fish by this method. It turns to mush pretty quick so keep a check on it until you get used to cooking this way.

13. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I don't fry'em because of the odor. I like to use any flavor of shake & bake
    at 350 for 45-50 mins.

14. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Ive had it blackened, grilled, and ofcourse fried. Fried is my favorite by far for catfish.

15. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    OHHH.......

I almost forgot. I sometimes bake catfish fillets in a glass pan smothered with BBQ sauce. I am partial to Sweet Baby Rays but plain ole Kraft is good as well.

16. Dnedster

Dnedster New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    The key with cats here in WI is trim all the fat off then ZATERAINS breading

17. Superduty65

Superduty65 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I thought this related to this topic for the most part, but want to know what you guys think. My wife came to me last night with a bunch of internet page print outs of "WARNING, DO NOT EAT CATFISH!!!" All of the print outs listed high mercury levels in a lot of different fish as the reason and that birth defects for children and unborn babies, and some other ramblings about effects to adults. Do you guys buy into this talk or not? I love fish and grew up eating all different kinds. Catfish is among my favorite along with Grouper and Fresh Salmon and Steelhead. I am having a hard time deciding to still stop eating fresh caught catfish from the local rivers and lakes. Just wanted to know what your thoughts are on this subject.

Jason