HOW DO YOU COOK 'EM ?

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEBRASKA TALK' started by catman-j, Jan 26, 2010.

1. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I had channel catfish for dinner tonight. Usually I deep fry the but tonight I fried them in a skillet with veg oil.
    I'm looking for a better way, not so greasy. Yes they were good.

2. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    foil, butter, salt, pepper, garlic salt (sometimes) and a Grill...But this year i want to try this way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olAnxMVODDo

The kid who owns this channel lives in Omaha around Dodge some where..I want to say he told my around 90th but i dont think theres a lake around 90th and dodge..lmao!!!

3. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    That guy has a foil fettish.

4. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    The best way to cook and enjoy any fish so ive found is..

cast iron skillet with between half and three quarters of an inch of peanut oil heated on a camp stove till itll light a wooden match when touched to the oil.. the fish filleted and lightly breaded with your favorite seasonings then cooked to just before it flakes apart. then set on bread and butter and ate right there on the shore of where it was caught.

I dont like to freeze fish. if i do bring fish home and dont plan on cooking them for awhile i will but i prefer not to either way unless i cook them with in a couple hours of filleting them i always soak them over night in the fridge in salt water.. why? idk it dont make them salty idk why it dont but it dont.. but thats what i remember seeing done when i was a kid and just continue to do so.

5. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    i do the same steve.... grandma always said it takes the bactira and other bad stuff out.... i dk tho but there is nothing wrong with a shore lunch!!!!!!!

6. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    unfortunatly frying is the best way I've found,but a light breading and baking does work,it's just not as good (to me) as fried, I have to cut way back on the fried foods,which really sucks. Lots of ways to cook them but to me nothing beats fried when done right.

7. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I have cooked quite a few panfish right at the campsight in foil with garlic salt and butter right over a fire. But I like to have some fish in the winter too.

8. Waterbug

Waterbug New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I like to use just enough olive oil in a pan to cover oneside of the fillet and flip it over after the first side is cooked. Doc says to stay away from fried foods, but this the best I can do.

9. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Unfortunately, I prefer the fried fish too, even though it's probably not the best for you. I do like grilled catfish too. I love using my Turkey fryer for fish too. Peanut oil heated to 375deg. I can fry the fish within 4-5min and they're done. Soon as the fish chunks float, they're good to go. I like Andy's, Louisiana Shore Lunch and a few other breadings and seasonings. Good stuff.

10. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    I only use peanit oil now and mix 1/2 white flour and 1/2 corn meal. salt, roll and fry it baby.

11. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i always liked to deep fry them cut the fellets into finger strips drop them in a ziplock bag put enough corn meal in to cover them pour about a teaspoon of lemon pepper shake the bag place peices in the frier till they float then eat while still hot

12. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Smoked catfish is great too,but it takes alot of preparation and time to do it right,not a quick meal at all. I like to brine the catfish fillets for 24 hrs and then smoke over a hot smoke till done,about 1 to 3 hrs depending on the thickness of the fillets. leftovers can be chopped up and mixed with cream cheese,green onion and let sit for 24 hrs to let flavors combine and enjoy on crackers,usually don't have any leftovers though.

13. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    My favorite way is to deep fry them using Andy's breading. I have had it fried in olive oil one time and it is good that way also. I want to try to bake some and grill some this year.

14. Catfishboy1995

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Yes, jr and steve..Salt water over night kills off bactieria

15. Catfishboy1995

State:
    Council Bluffs
    very much soo..and onion

16. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    I do it this way except I don't fillet the fish all that often. I gut it out, off with the head, tail, and pokeys (as my kids call them). I then wrap them in foil and put about 4 tsp of butter, a bit of lemon pepper salt, and grill it until it falls off the bones. Be careful because sometimes the bones do come off with the meat and it's a pain in the arse to pick the teeth. Yum Yum good tho. I do all my fish this way.
    PS you can broil them in the oven the same way.

17. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I wish you hadn't said that. My dad had a smoker a realllllly nice one. When he moved he gave it to me. I had it stored down at the shop but I had serious problems with him. At one time He gave me a good fridge which I still use and I was afraid he'd want it back so I told him I was giving him the smoker as a gift in return. STUPID!!!!!!! That thing smoked meat great. He still has the smoker and I'm considering having someone offer him money for it. I moved my shop back to where it used to be and my present landlord is a king compared to that A hole. He might be willing to let me keep it there somewhere.

18. Littlejoe

Littlejoe New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Had it in Louisiana once, baked and with crawfish sauce. It was very good

19. sattv

sattv New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Smoked or cooked on my treager