How do you cook carp

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by dragon86, Jul 22, 2007.

1. dragon86

dragon86 New Member

State:
    west frankfort illinios
    i caught a bunch of carp and was wondering how to cook them up.​

2. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Place carp on a board and season to taste, place in 350 degree oven for 30 min. Remove from oven, throw out carp and eat the board......LOL

3. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I find that nice "OAK-y" flavor delectable...-LOL :smile2:

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    C'mon guys, let's be fair. If it's properly fixed, carp doesn't taste any worse than a cardboard shoe box.

5. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey Steve, Don't let these fellows fool you....they just want to keep you in the dark on some good eating ....lol.

Seriously, Carp are good eating if fixed right. Scale and filet them. Put them skin down on a board. With a sharp filet knife score the flesh at 1/8" width down to the skin. The skin holds them together. This will allow the small bones to become crisp when fried. Use your favorite batter (flour, andy's, corn meal, buttermilk & self rising flower just to name a few possibilities) and fry in deep greese.

We use to purchase an equal amount of scored carp & channel catfish for our church fishfry at a fish market north of Kampsville on the Illinois River north of Alton. Wasn't unusual for the carp to be cleaned up before the catfish.

6. wirehead80

wirehead80 New Member

State:
    Michigan

amen, carp are just wrong!

7. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Smoke them devils I can smoke them and you'll swear they are salmon!!!:smile2:

8. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i use carp foe fertilizer works real good as far as eating it majority rules. enjoy the cardbord! :smile2:

9. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    cut them carps into 2 inch squares, throw the squares in a catfish hole. come back next day and catch catfish and eat it.

10. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    pressure cook them and make fish patties just as you would make salmon patties....that is the only way i have ever been able to eat them, and they aren't bad like that:big_smile:

11. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    I filet them and cut out the red meat and cut in to 1" strips being careful to pick out as many of the small bones as possible,soak in salt water overnight, batter and fry like you do catfish, if you are careful when preparing the fish it will taste great and is a great way to get alot of meat for a fish fry.
    I have fed carp to alot of people over the years and the main response I get is " this is great catfish " not everyone has a fine tuned pallet that can distinguish between channel,flat, blue or carp including me. the difference between flavors often come from the minds eye and the general perception about carp is that it is a trash fish and that catfish is best, I would much rather catch and eat catfish over carp but based on what carp eat compared to what catfish eat you would expect catfish to be considered the trashfish. but the morel of the story is I will take a catfish over a carp anyday. JMO

12. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Filet out about 5 pounds of carp, get rid of mud vein, then if you have a old refrigerator or you can make same set up out of cooler , place filets on a metal rack, above the rack place a block of ice and let it drip on the filets, usually overnight.

In a mixing bowl add the following, salt, pepper, lemon pepper, garlic salt, and season all. mix up good and set aside.

Now that your filets are done pat dry with paper towel and coat with olive oil, make little tin foil boats for each filet, place filet in boat and head for grill

take a lemon and onion and make slices

once on grill sprinkle mix on filets place onion and lemon slices on them and grill to flakey. Dont knock till you try it!!:big_smile:

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ive always done the scoring and frying. nothing wrong with carp.

in the spring if i dont have any fish and the first thing i catch is a big ol carp hes going home to the pan.

14. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    I did some Buffalo(fish, should be about the same as carp) that a buddy and myself bow shot. We filleted them like usual, cut out the red meat, then ran it through my meat grind with the fine plate in. Once the meat was done I grabbed a good sounding Salmon Patty recipe off the internet and did some cooking...........it was good, but didn't feel it was worth the trouble, your milage may vary. I did deepfry the patty's and never had to pull a bone when ate.