How Do You Clean Your Handles On Your Rods?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Itch2Scratch, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    As fishing winds down for many of us it's time to clean up the mess we made:crazy: ..LOL. Some of us use EVA and some use cork handles or both.:roll_eyes: I figured it would be a good time to bring up this nasty topic and let everyone tell the "tricks" to cleaning afterwards. How do you clean the gunk off and please specify EVA or cork, thanks.

I mainly use cork handles and believe it or not Windex always seems to work for me.:embarassed:

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I don't clean em. Helps with padding for the next time. LOL!

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i dont bother cleaning mine but when i drove a truck all the time i would use GO-JO hand cleaner to revove the grime that accumulated on the steering wheel and it worked real well

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    dont clean mine either. all the guts, scales, pieces of fins, blood, slime, and spots where i keep the hook that have little chunks missing give my rods their character.:cool2:

5. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I can't believe no one cleans their rod handles, because I don't either. LOL

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I clean my cork handles with a fine sand paper if they are bad and it adds a little more grip.

I use greased lightning on the EVA.

7. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    the only item i could possibly clean..would be my reels. What the heck do people get on their rod handles...maybe i'm just too careful..not sure

8. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Warm soap and water on My EVA handles and like Mark I use fine sand paper on My cork handles.Worked mighty hard to buy them babies so I try and take care of them. JMHO. Good Post, Itch2Scrach! J.D.

9. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    hardly clean em unless i get danny kings or mud on em or something; then just a wet rag on both the uva and cork.

speakin of cork, that stuff has gone through the roof price wise! anyone know where to get a good deal on individual cork rings?

10. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

Figures you of all people would clean a fishin rod. LOL! Don't ya have to get em dirty first! LOL! Can't remember the last pic I seen of you with a fish let alone a dirty rod. LOL!

11. 18lbflathead

18lbflathead New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Take a cup of water and add a little mr.Clean and scrub the handle down then let it air dry and you get alot of grip!:0a26: :confident:

12. Catfish Killer

Catfish Killer New Member

State:
    Pa.
    I use Simple green in a spry bottle, and give it a good soaking spray,then wipe it off with a rag. I repeat the process until its clean. I use this on cork and EVA.

13. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    dont they look prettier with all the river mud and clay cried on em with a little mix of blood bait and shad blood. always top it off with the bluegill intestine juices tho.

14. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Simple Green for me!!!Use one of those green scouring pads LIGHTLY on the cork.Mix SG in a bucket of warm water and scrub the EVA with a medium bristle brush.I haven't found anything yet the TOTALLY removes all the Herring scales.:big_smile: :lol:

15. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I knock off the big chunks of mud and call it good

16. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey George, if Mark was bald he would kinda look like Mr. Clean :eek:oooh: lol
    If I used sandpaper on mine why I would be down to blank in one season! I keep them covered in slime to disguises the smoky odor on my fingers. :big_smile:

17. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I'm sure that he would medicaly be categorized as bald already. LOL!

18. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I have not cleaned mine as of yet. yes they get very nasty. cut skip jack is very messy.

19. keithcatfish

keithcatfish New Member

State:
    Maryville, TN
    I clean cork handles with warm water and the same scrubby pad I use to clean the dishes. It cleans the cork but does not remove any material like sandpaper does.

20. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    If you have a cork handle then you can use a cork sealer.