How do you clean your catch?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Gotbuck, May 28, 2009.

1. Gotbuck

Gotbuck New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    I usually skin em cut off the head and keep the tail on and bake in the oven. I'm looking for other ways to get the most from the catch. Just curious.

2. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Welcome to the BOC Steve, I do as you do but am getting ready to tackle the fillet route. Would make it easier to freeze them and also to cook them in oven or deep fry. It's not easy to get many in a freezer bag especially if there bigger ones. By bigger ones I mean 1 lb and up.

3. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    I nail their heads to a tree to skin them, then I break the neck & pull the head & guts out all at once. Then I fillet them out & place them in a bowl of saltwater over night in the fridge.

4. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I fillet them. Leave fish whole, cut the fillets off then slice the skin off with the filleting knife.

5. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    The easiest way is to use an electric knife. Fillet down one side and then run the electric knife between the skin and the fillet and then cut the rib cage out with a fillet knife and your done. I can fillet a catfish in less than a minute. You don't waste any meat at all.

6. Waterbug

Waterbug New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I fillet all my fish - makes for easier eating. I usually cut off the belly meat as well and fillet it from the skin.

7. bodie

bodie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I fillet it just like I would a crappie. Skinning takes to long and if its a bigger fish you are just wasting time because you still have to cut off the red meat.

8. KAYAK CAT KILLER

KAYAK CAT KILLER New Member

State:
    Missouri

What do you do when you bake em in the oven? I mean what do ya season them with? do you cook other things with it in the same pan? and do you cover it with a lid or foil? cook time? I just fillet my cats and fry them. Good to know another way of cooking them.

9. Gotbuck

State:
    Missouri
    I usually put them in cornmeal with pepper/salt and if you like garlic then add it. Then I put them in an oven safe dish for 350 and cook about 20 minutes with butter placed on top. You know when their done when you can put a fork in and pull it out easy. The meat starts to flake off. If you have a good size one you can really pull alot of the meat from the bones in one piece, I'm talking chunks. I just have bones left when done. It's work but fine eating. I've done the frying thing but I can't have any fried foods anymore. I want to fillet but the first one I did I hacked it up too bad.

10. Gotbuck

State:
    Missouri
    When you fillet them are you cutting through the rib cage and pulling them bones out latter? I guess where do you start cutting? The only one I did I made a cut behind the first gill and went in until I hit the backbone, then I turned the knife and ran it along the top of the backbone until the tail making a small cut along the backbone. I then worked my way down the side of the fish and hit the ribcage and then followed the rib cage to the belly. it just seemed like I missed a step somewhere. I want to get the most I can but hate the skinning.

11. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    Skin & fillet. Then bread/deep fry or grill w/Old Bay seasoning. :smile2:

12. bodie

bodie New Member

State:
    Missouri

If they are small enough you could go through the rib cage. I have noticed anything over 6-8lbs is very hard on a electric knife

13. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    my wife does it for me

14. Gotbuck

State:
    Missouri
    rrssmith, you must have a great wife if she does that. Mine hates to clean anything fish, deer, turkey you name it. She does however have no problem eating the stuff.:smile2:

15. rivercatjon

rivercatjon New Member

State:
    MI
    use a electric knife go directly behind the rib cage down to the back bone angle knife sliding knife against back bone to the tail flip and repeat...

once this is done turn skin side down start at tail and run electric knife between skin and meat and whala!!! fillet is done...

practice first few will take some hacking but it all works out...I always cut out the mud vane and fat...red meat,yellow meat...the outcome of this is less fish oil so less fish taste...as far as the bellies are concerned you can do it but it takes a little practice...Just remember the belly meat holds allot of the fishes stored badness some say...chemicals and so on...smaller fish in the 1-3 lb range I don't waste my time with on the belly meat...

16. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    That is how I do it. And anything over 5lbs goes right back in the drink after a photo op of course.

As far as preparation I like to use Andy's brand Cajun breading (made right here in St. Louis) and fry them ip in a cast iron skillet 1/2 full of oil.

GOOD stuff! I'm gonna go catch me some eaters.

17. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    yep ,she's a keeper. she is the one in pink jacket along with my brothers wife cleaning a pig for us!

Attached Files:

18. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It's the quick way. No need to gut fish or remove head. You can clean fish with 2 cuts and 2 slices, fast

19. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I am still old school on my cats, I skin mine. If its small enough I
    will cook him whole. If it to big I fillet it but I still skin it first. All
    scalely fish I fillet them with an electric knife.

20. IBEW_124_BROTHER

IBEW_124_BROTHER New Member

State:
    MO
    Usually just drop em back in the water and rinse my hands off! LOL