How do you clean a turtle

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by adamf, Jun 27, 2006.

1. adamf

adamf New Member

State:
    tennessee
    ive caught many turtles but dont know how to clean them.

2. blkhawkdwn

blkhawkdwn New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    you are taking me back some years, I haven't hunted nor clean turtles in over 18 yrs, but you want to boil you some water and get it good and hot (this depends on the size) several pots will be needed slap that bugger in it for a few mins and pull it out, just where the top and the bottom of the shell meets run your knife along that line. every thing will come apart be sure to cut all along the shell top and bottom to detach the skin from the shell as well. then you have the tail and legs left for some good eating but remember the meat isn't cooked, you have just soften the shell a little to get it to seperate.

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i hear you need to put them in a barrel for a few days. so they clean themselfs out before cleaning.

4. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    you toss it into a trash can put some water in it and change the water every day till the water is clear. what that does is let the turtle clean himself out. from toxens. then you clean him up and make some stew.

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Clean for few days in water somewhere, let him clean himself out.

Cut head off, stick garden hose down neck, use bailing wire to tighten neck around hose. Turn hose on, will blow up and crack shell. Also kills nevers instantly and losens meat for ya. Just trim and pull meat out next. Easiest way I know to clean em. Hope this helps. Tea