How do you clean a carp

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by dragon86, Jul 19, 2007.

1. dragon86

dragon86 New Member

State:
    west frankfort illinios
    i was wondering how to clean a carp i heard there boney.an was wondering how to clean and cook a carp with out geting any of the bones. i also hear that if cooked right the bone geltiniz is this true.

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Steve, First scale carp, then fillet leaving skin on. Make cuts across the fillet about every 1/4 inch or so on the meat side being careful not to cut through the skin. Batter and fry.
    The only other way I have eaten carp is in patties. Best I can remember they cooked the carp in a pressure cooker for about 3 hrs or until the bones where soft. Then made patties just as you would with salmon.

3. tkeyhunter

tkeyhunter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Why would you want to? icky icky icky

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Do like Bam said and thier not icky,icky,icky if done right. Nothing like a good Carp sandwhiche with Brooks ketchup on it.Go to fish frys thats what you get mostly Carp and Buffalo.

5. chuck7700

chuck7700 New Member

State:
    Coppell, TX.
    first scale and gut the carp. then cut off the head. theres a big vein on the top. remove it. then put the carp or carps in a pressure cooker. the meat will fall off the bones leaving the skeleton. i always cooked the meat in patties like you would cook salmon patties.

6. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    http://www.prismnet.com/~timmckee/carp1.htm

7. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    I have had it like this and well its GOOD!!!

8. dragon86

dragon86 New Member

State:
    west frankfort illinios
    thanks for the advice every one. i'll have to trie it if i get to go catch some this weekend also thinking about tring gar to.

9. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Seems like my Grandfather used to "can" em in fruitjars some way or another....Don't know how or how they were cooked and tasted....Dwight

10. dragon86

dragon86 New Member

State:
    west frankfort illinios
    i caught some buffalo this weekend and fryed them up i really like the way the tasted but they still had a lot of bones in them. i think i did some thing wrong but i still got a lot of meat left so i'll give it another shot.

11. kornfishin

kornfishin New Member

State:
    north carolina
    real easy. take the carp and slab it. rinse it with cold water first to remove any river slime from it. then scale it by taking a sharp knife and turning the knife flat. cut UP; toward the fishes head. use saw-action. than stick the knife in its butt, right infront of its bottom fin. then cut the fish open all the way up to his throat. stick you fingers in it and pull, scrape, and rinse its guts out. cut of the fins if you wish, then cut of the head. you can fillet it if you want. just cut it down the backbone, then carefully cut the meat away from the ribs. dont cut through the ribs. then freeze. thats all. oh and rinse the fish with water when you finish.