How do you catch your bait for blue catfishing

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by cliff n york, Jun 13, 2006.

1. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    how do you catch your bait and how much time do you spend

2. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    me and my buddy use a castnet when we go to catch shad. We spend as much time as we need to get enough bait.

-Red

3. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hmm... that depends on how easy it is to get bait and how long I have to fish.

Fishing during the week when I only have 4 hours or so:
    I'll use a throw net for up to half an hour (trying for shad, bluegill if that fails). If that fails I'll fall back on tiny lures for bluegill.

If I have more time (I often stay out fishing for 12+ hours) I'll try the net for up to an hour. Failing that, lures for bluegill (unless I happened to bring worms).

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Normally, I make a trip to Pickwick in the spring and stock up on skipjack. I have a 7 cubic foot chest freezer just for my bait, and it will hold about 300# of skippies. I missed going this year, though.

5. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    It depends on the availability of the bait. I've thrown once with my cast net and had enough shad to fish all day and freeze for two more trips. Then there are days when I give up after 30 minutes and catch a few bluegill with ultra-light and meal worms.

6. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I fish on the OHio and i use a cast net to get shad, i just go up into feeder creeks, or little marinas, i have a few different spots that i can usually count on

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Cliff, I use shad for the most part and I catch them with a throw net I keep 3 different sizes a 2 1/2 foot for when there plentiful a 5 foot for when they are there pretty good and a 8footer for when they are hard to come by.
    For live perch its legal in my state to catch them in my perch trap. Thats easier than rod reel and worms.
    Im fixing to start trying to catch some skip jack on rod and reel below the dams in the area. havent tried it yet but I am told they are not that hard to catch and they are excellent bait. Hope that helps 777

8. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Like Jtrew I too use skipjack most of the time. I catch them on crappie jigs in fast moving water. I also use my cast net for shad.

9. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I take some kids from my daughters kindergarden class. We go across the road to a small horse pond. I arm them with spongebob and barbie spincasts, trout hooks, and slip corks. Bait with waxworms. I'm thinking of changing to cane poles. I have to space the kids the casting distance apart too keep from hanging each other. I'm run ragged removing sunfish and keeping baited. It's all worth it. At the school's field day one of the little baitcatchers introduced me to his Mom as "Savannah's Dad, He's the coolest Dad ever". Yea, my ballcap didn't fit right for a couple of days.

10. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    A few of the members have give the Arkansas crew the title bait catchers. We enjoy catching skips as well as any fish. I fish the hot water outlet of the nuclear plant in winter, I also have a bait freezer in which I store my skips until the next winter. catching skips can be fun.

11. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    i to use a throw net for shad and gold eye herien then ill use curly tails and crickets to catch skippies

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Go to a local pond for abt an hour and get all the bluegill and warmouth I need,If I want fresh shad,go to river and throw cast net a cpl times,I have plenty of frozen shad in my freezer.

13. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I Generally Use A Cast Net For Shad & Shiners, As Others Have Mentioned The Time I Spend Really Depends On The Amount Of Time I'm Allotted To Fish.

Here In FL, You Can't Use Bluegills For Bait That You Caught In A Net, They Have To Be Caught By R/R Method BY The Person Using Them For Bait. So While One of Us Is Castnetting Off The Front Of The Boat.

14. flathead81

flathead81 New Member

State:
    illinois
    weve made large minnow traps from small mesh wire big enough for big bluegill to fit through the cone all we do is bait with bread thrown them in a pond go get everything else ready then go collect the bait very easy and works great