How do you catch skipjack?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by dusky, Apr 7, 2006.

1. dusky

dusky Member

State:
    indiana
    I've heard blues love 'em, but how exactly do you catch 'em? I've mostly used shad, which works well, but I like to try a couple different baits when I go out. I haven't seen any recent threads or library posts on this. Don't know about the blues, but the channels sure are bitin around here! Good luck to all.

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Rig 2 or 3 crappie jigs in tandem or use a sabiki rig and fish the swift water below a dam or powerhouse, or off the end of a jetty.

3. dusky

dusky Member

State:
    indiana
    thanks jtrew, i'll try that.

4. bluecatmaster

bluecatmaster New Member

State:
    oh
    you no that you can buy em at bait shops here in cin ,oh where you from :rolleyes:

5. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    Sabiki rigs are the way to go alright. Where I live I can catch them 3 and 4 at a time when they are in our rivers and streams. I have also found these rigs good for crappies when they are schooling as well. I live near a river where I go the the intake side of the dam and put a landing net as far down as I can. As the water is sucked into the dam my nets fill up fast. I realize not all people have this same situation.

6. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Dusky where in Indiana do you live? We get a lot of skips at the local power plant discharge, pretty much year round. I've had better luck getting them there than at dams. We catch most of ours on sabiki rigs, but sometimes the bite is good on crappie jigs.
    Bluecatmaster, yes there is a saltwater skipjack, but there is river herring in the larger rivers in the East that are commonly called skipjack and they make excellent cat bait whole or cut. Vern

7. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Do skipjack live in fresh water.
    I live in north carolina I don`t think we have them here.
    How about some one post some pics fo a skiphack.

:thumbsup:

:cat:

8. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    ace we have them i think they are called blue back herring here i think. someone correct me if im wrong. if they are the same i have caught blue back herring at badin and tillery. just not as much as shad.

9. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    If that what they are we have Blue Bach Herring here where i fish.
    Why would any one want to call Herring Skipjack.
    :0a36:

:cat:

10. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    Istart in winter around hot water discharges. I vaccum seal and freeze them has back up bait. In summer I catch them castingnet or with crappie jigs.Nothing big blue fresh bait.:)

11. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    We use them live and whole for big flathead. We use them cut for big blues and channel cats. Shad stays alive longer and is also great bait, but more often than not we catch them on Skipjack.