How do you catch skipjack? - what to do with Red Horse suckers over a 1lb?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by duck_killr, Apr 19, 2006.

1. duck_killr

duck_killr New Member

State:
    il
    I have two questions. The first was, how do you guys catch skip jack in the river. I live on the mississippi river and have caught a few by accident, but i have never boated them on purpose. Also, I use red horse sucker on my lines, last year we used four to eight inchers, we threw the bigger ones back. what should i do with the red horse over a pound?

2. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Why wouldn't you use them for bait is it illegal or you trying to catch small fish? (big bait big fish)

3. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    If I had foot-long redhorse, I'd rig them up to fish them live for flathead!

4. duck_killr

duck_killr New Member

State:
    il
    I though of using the really big ones for cut bait, they take up a lot of room in the cooler/live well. The big red horse are like two pounds; is that to big for bait?

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would use those big suckers for cut bait.

6. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

around here suckers that big would be nice flathead bait,wish i could find them like that myself

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    In Arkansas and Tennessee folks deliberately go out for the annual spring red horse run, similar to the white bass run. They used to gig them, but I don't know what the law says about that now. I never had the opportunity to eat one, but they're supposed to be very tasty; lots of fine bones, so the fish is either steaked or scored along the sides as if you were starting to cut it into steaks. Also often canned.

8. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Like jtrew said, they used to do it a lot around here. Eleven Point River was a hot spot. I know they used to grind em all up and make patties out of em to fry. Real good eating.

9. illnoize

illnoize New Member

State:
    illinois
    How do you catch suckers?

10. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    fish with light weight, small hook, and a redworm on the bottom. go to areas that are 2 to 3 foot deep in a slight current.

11. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    use them whole 1,2or3# makes no diference cats love them if the flats dont get them the blues will if the sucker dies then cut it or clean it and eat it not bad just full of bones

12. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    seems like everyone covered the other question lol :smile2:

I catch skippies 2 ways mostly:

If you know there are around...tie a couple jigs on (12-19 inches apart) and chuck them as far as you can and reel in fast with a bit of a twitch in the mix.

secondly, once again if you know they are around...a simple setup..and productive. put a rather small hook on, attach a small minnow or shiner and about 1-5 feet above (water depth plays in) attach a float or bobber. Watch closely cause if you blink, your float will be gone, then the minnow, then your float will be back on the surface..and you missed the action.

Skippies are awesome predators...they rival bass for their water breakin jumps and head shakin moves..MAN they are neat fish....too bad they can not be eaten.

Oh well, maybe these a couple ideas that may help you...or maybe not..lol

cyas
    rc