How do you catch Skipjack Herring ?

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by tnkatman, Nov 4, 2007.

1. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I've never fished for skipjack but from reading the posts here on the B.O.C, I assume that they're a very good catfish bait, I'm just wondering how you catch them. Do you use a rod & reel ? If so what kind of rig or set up do you use ? What kind of bait do you use ? Can they be caught with a cast net ? Sorry for all the questions but as I mentioned earlier, I've never fished for them and I don't have the slightest idea about how to catch them. Please help if you can, and any instruction or info. is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

2. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    most of us use what they call a sibiki rig it is about 3 feet long with about 5 white flys tied to it i use this when catching the small ones when im heading to cumberland city for the big ones ill use a white curly tail grubs ill tie about 3 or 4 at a time on about 6 in. to a foot apart they are a blast to catch u get three of the big ones on at the same time hold on they fight hope this helps

3. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Kevin,
    I haven't cought skipjacks but a few times. I think the best way is with rod & reel, with small jigs etc. I did catch a bunch of them last spring in a net I think that they were spawing. Once in a while when the river is real muddy I will catch one in a net. Friday we cought about 15 Gold Eye on Rooster Tails, they were 10 in. to 16 in. long . Tryed them as cut bait for about 4 hours never got a bite. Have any of you guys ever had any luck with them . Kevin I think this may be a good time of the year to catch those Skippies. Good Luck . Paul

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've occasionally caught a small skipjack in my cast net, but never one over, say, 8" long. I've seen sabiki rigs used, and they certainly work well, but I prefer to use a couple of crappie jigs tied in tandem. My only objections to a sabiki rig are: storage--you've got to be careful not to get them tangled up after you take them out of the package. If you leave them on your skipjack rod while catfishing, it seems that I get hung on the things every time I walk by them. The skipjack tend to run pretty large where I catch them in the spring, and 2 on at once will break 10# test line so often you'll swear off using it. (I went to 20# test.) You can use tubes or curlytails on the jigs; both work. It comes down to a matter of preference. Try both and see which you like best.

5. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    someone put up some skipjacks vs shad pics..i don't know what a skipjack looks like, and after getting treated like the amateur i am:angry: at the polebenders at kerr lake by fishermen that used skipjack, i am all about learning about them:wink:

6. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    I use a striper bobber which is about three inches long with a weight in the bottom of it, the top of the bobber is concaved. I tie a small crappie jig on a leadhead about 20-22 inches behind the bobber. The bobber helps you to cast out much farther and the skips think it is another skip chasing bait. You want to reel with a medium fast action until you get a skip on line then reel with all you have and don't stop at the boat just bring it in the boat in one swift motion or it will spit the hook quick. Pete (Shilohred) made me several skip lures that look like they are going to be a winner. These are small jigs with a #10 hook which is small but you will lose a bunch of the smaller skips with a large hook. Like Jerry said use a line that is about 20 pound test, in high current with a couple on the lighter line will snap.

7. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.

Attached Files:

8. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
  9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    That's a big gizzard shad! It's been years since I saw one that big.

10. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I used to use "sabiki rigs", but when the BIG skips are running, its usually too much when they attack it and you stay busy re-tying your rigs! So, now I just tie on 2-3 of those cheap white "malibu" crappie jigs from Wally World and I am one of those folks that was using 10lb test line and have since went to 6-20lb power-pro braid for my main line and tie a swivel on and then about a 2' piece of berkley big game mono on for a shock leader...then I place the crappie jigs about 6-8" apart on my mono leader. This works alot better!! I have as much if not MORE fun catching bait, when there running thick!:big_smile:

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I tried maribou because I really like it for crappie, but it had a very short life. So, I've been using plastic curlytails & tubes. They don't really last any longer than the maribou, but I can put a new one on in a few seconds. Recently, I had another idea. Seems like a short piece of thin, white, pork rind would work as well, and last much longer. Gotta try that next spring at Pickwick.

12. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey Katman
    I see you are from Tennessee. What a great state to catch skipjack. Just about every body of water in Tennessee has a steamplant within easy driving distance. If you can get to a steamplant, your skipjack fishing just got a lot easier. If you cant get to a steamplant ,maybe you can get to a Dam. I use a rig consisting of 3 sizes of crappie jigs. I tie the larger of the jigs on the bottom ,followed by the other 2. then followed by a small barrell swivel. Then tied on to your fishing line. Then you simply cast out and retrieve in a slow to medium speed. If the skipjack are in there ,you will catch them. Many prefer to use a pre-tied rig called a sabiki rig. They are reletively cheap and worth every penny. The reason I tie my own on a heavier leader is because on more than one occasion, while reeling in a skipjack a larger fish may go after the skipjack before you can get him in. This is true especially if you are at a steamplant in the winter time. Hope this helps you.