How do you catch an AMUR?

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by neocats, Oct 28, 2006.

1. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    My neighbor has a small pond with some huge White Amurs. I have tried to catch them with everything I can think of including tying fresh grass on my hook. I can't get a bite. Any ideas on how to catch these monsters. They appear to be be in the 70-80 pound area.

2. chesapeakecarper

chesapeakecarper New Member

State:
    Maryland
    White amur, or grass carp, have a heavy vegetarian diet but will also bite on most common carp baits. Try chumming an area with field corn (you can soak at least 8 hrs in a bucket to rehydrate) and use this or sweet corn as a bait. Get them feeding in your spot and the battle's half won...then its up to you to get them to fall for the trap and take the baited hook. Try to do this by tossing an extra pile or amount of chum around the hook.

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    First I would ask my neighbor if it is ok to catch them!!! Some folks don't want them bothered beacuse they are exspensive and the keep the pond clean. Just a thought!!!

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    The owner wants one caught so he can find out its weight. We can see how much they have grown. Of course, we plan to release it afterwards. I plan on using a circle hook to prevent the chances of serious injury.

5. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I've hooked one on a #6 bream hook, so the hook doesn't need to be big, of course this one was only around 25 or so pounds.

6. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Thanks for the Tip bro :big_smile:

7. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio

thats how i do it

8. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Is it too late in the year to even attempt to catch one of the Amurs?

9. matt_k_a

matt_k_a New Member

State:
    texas
    I have caught carp on a bucktail that has bread over the treble

10. villaitefla

villaitefla New Member

State:
    Florida
    70 - 80 lbs ... WOW !!!!!!
    Gotta see a photo of one of those when you catch it ....... :smile2:
    Down here in Florida my grass carp 'season' is just about to start. They feed all summer on the natural weed growth, but in the winter rely on freebies thrown in by the local for the ducks. I use mainly corn and plenty of it. You'll be amazed how much of that stuff a couple of 20's can gorge down them. Good luck with the quest. My biggest is 34-4 .... can't imagine one being TWICE that size .... !!!!!!!

11. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    When I was younger we used to catch them on the core of lettuce or cabbage. Hook it and toss it out along some weeds and just let it float. they will come up and suck it in. that has worked best for me but i haven't done it in years.

12. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    thats a great idea1ima try it some time. thanks for the tip:cool2:

13. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    It's alot of fun. Usually when we did it we would throw 1-2 rods out like this. just floating around with some slack in the line. We would then go back to bass/crappie/catfishing, whatever. We would just kinda keep an eye on it and you could hear them suck it in. That way you aren't just sitting on them, the time passes alot faster this way!

14. ripley311

ripley311 New Member

State:
    COLORADO
    Ive caught them on worms. But i have never went fishing for them. I fish for other fish and accidentally hook into them. Also they look a lot bigger in the water. they are a very long and slender fish. The record is around 70lbs so if it is around that I would get it officially weighed. A 40lb grass carp can be over 4ft long and look huge in the water. my personal best was about 30lbs and is in my avatar.