How do you best fish dipbait??

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Hurricane, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Hurricane

Hurricane New Member

State:
    Arnold, Missouri
    Hi Guys,

I bought a tub a Sonny's this past saturday afternoon and hit the Meramec below the 21 bridge, from the bank. I kept getting some bites but they never seemed to take the bait. I tried a couple different bait holders that I got at the local bait shop with some keeping the bait on a little better than others. My main question is what is the best way to keep this stuff on my hook? Everytime I reeled it in my bait was gone whether I had a bite or not. Was it possible it was just coming off when I was reeling it in, the current is pulling it off, or some tricky fish were stealing my bait? I tried 2 different types of tube bait holders, one tube with sponge holder, and one thing I don't know how to describe wrapped around a treble hook. Any suggestions would be great!!

Thanks, Chris

2. jimmy willaby

jimmy willaby New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Dipbait is all I fish with, I just use a sponge and a treble hook.
    Never fished with Sonny,s. I make my own. Never have any trouble with it.

3. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    Hey Chris probably more times than not smaller catfish will hit it and steel the bait. But what i foubd works best is to make my own tubes. The yellow one in the picture is the store purchased tube and the bright green one is my homemade on, Ill get back to that later.

I found that the trouble hooks were to harsh on the smaller fish and after ripping out there throat latches and watching them float after i tried to release them i decided to make a better setup.

My goal was to make one that held bait better and longer.

I started out putting a light coat of vasoline over a 1/4 inch allen wrench as a mold release. Then using about 1 table spoon of 100% siliconized rubber ( from wallmart in the silicone and caulk section )and a pea size amount of arcrylic paint ( Any color ) also from wallmart.

Stiring them up with a tooth pick then using a tounge depressor to coat the allen wrench evenly with the silicone and paint mixture.

You must work fast at this point the arcrylic paint works as an accelator for the silicone and sets up in a couple of minutes. Also have a cup of water by with a drop of dish soap in it to dip your fingers in and shape the tube better over the allen wrench . After e few minutes you can then slide the tube of the allen wrench. you now have a tube.

After a few other minutes you can cut slits in it to release bait, then thread a hook of your choice thru it . I like the long j hook a lot easier to catch and release fish and they dont swallow it like a small trouble hook.

You bait this the same as any other tube #1 Make sure the tube is bone dry everytime you bait it up. #2 you can shove bait down the inside of the tube to hold ten times better that conventional tubes. And the holes on the side of your tube are letting small amounts of bait and smell out.

Ive used these tubes and they work great, getting a couple fish of one bait. Im still working on something similiar for circle hooks.

I made about 6 of these in about an hour for the price of 1 tube of silicone that i didnt even use half of, and a little craft paint.

Im working on a mold now to make like six at one time.

Hope this helps.

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Great post there Manuel. Appreciate the advise!!

5. Hurricane

Hurricane New Member

State:
    Arnold, Missouri
    Wow Manny that's pretty cool. So it sounds like the tube itself may be more of an issue. I didn't like the idea of the treble hook either so I started using tubes that accepted a regular hook. Not to mention the one I tried with a treble the hooks were bent on a small snag. What is the best way of getting the bait inside the tube? I just kept smashing into the bait with a stick and it seemed to fill it pretty well.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I suspect the current had a lot to do with the loss of your bait. Sonnys is a good bait . I would suggest you check out one of our BOC Sponsors for the LOOPER RIGs. This holder holds dip bait better than any I have ever used. You can have a choice of hooks with this rig. You want be sorry.

7. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    I really do the same, i use a flathead screwdriver and pack it full, As I have my rods out i have another tube on a liter that i pack up. And ill change it over to the next line when that one is done with a snap swivel.

Im trying to think of a way to get the dipbait into like a squeeze bottel to insert it into the tube.

Wouldnt it be great if they put it in like a toothpaste container for you.? It would then squeeze right into the tube.:roll_eyes:

8. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Try one of the looper rigs with the treble on it.. :wink: You just cant beat em.

9. Hurricane

Hurricane New Member

State:
    Arnold, Missouri
    A toothpaste container would be ideal. I just hating getting that stuff on my hands because it seems to take a couple of hand scrubbings to get the smell off.

10. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    Hey , Vince like i said I have used them but believe they waste more bait then neccesary.
    Im trying to come up with something like a tube that is used with circle hook.

Although i have never caught any cats with dip bait over 5lbs.

Has anyone??

11. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    it's a case of needing to thicken the bait alittle, it might take alittle more work to load the tube but it will hold and take longer to wash out of the tube. There are several ways to thicken bait I find corn starch seems to work well you might even add alittle fber like cattail fuzz be careful just add alittle at a time til up come up with the right thickness.
    To answer your qestion on size of fish my biggest is 18lbs on dip bait most will run in what one would call eater size 2 to 5lb range.
    Also not just because I came up with the Looper Rig I still feel like its the best bait holder around I spent many a years experimenting with different things befor I stubbled on the material for the Looper Rig. It has proven it's self over the years to take on more bait and hold it longer than any on the market today.
    Loop

12. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Jimmy,that ain't dip bait. Thats the most horrible smelling stuff ever. But it works pretty damn good

13. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Yes manny several in the 10-15lb range, my best is 22lbs so far:tounge_out:

14. HOLD-ACCOUNT

HOLD-ACCOUNT New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    My largest this year is a 41 lbs bluecat on the Secret 7.....We caught several more this year between 8 and 17 lbs.

The biggest cat this year caught on the Secret 7 that we know about came from Truman Lake in Mo. It was 63 lb Blue caught on a jug with the mini FURRY THaNG bait holder and the 4/0 JACK HAMMER Bait Hook.

We heard many reports of blues and channels that were between 8 and 15 lbs that were caught on the 7 this year!

Next year will be even better.....a lot more people know about it!

15. Hurricane

Hurricane New Member

State:
    Arnold, Missouri
    I looked at the package when I got home and I did try the Looper, I bought 3 different kinds of holders and couldn't remember the name. Ok so what's the trick with keeping my bait on these, I had the worse luck with this one(no offense).

16. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    Here's an idea for you, Manny. At Walmart or Hobby Lobby, go to the cake decorating section and purchase a squeeze tube that you fill yourself. In cake decorating, it holds icing which is used to write on the cake. Oughta work great, although this is a new idea to me.

17. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    Yep, caught an 8 lb'er a month ago on Danny King's punch bait, which is somewhat similar.

18. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Wow, that some good info to have.

19. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana

They make, over grown deals, like a hypodermic needle, only there is no needle. I have some left, don't laugh, they come in the kit used to flush out / un plug catheters.

With all the surgery's I have had, I have had to unplug catheters. They are used to blast sterile water up the tube to remove the blockage. Kinda like using a plunger on a clogged drain.

They come apart and could easily be loaded with dip bait.

I'm not sure where you would buy them, as the hospital gives them to me, after each surgery. I imagine a surgical supply would have them. They come in a sealed tray with a small bottle of sterile water. lol

I'm attaching pictures, as I have at least one around here.

I never thought of using them for dip bait, until you brought the subject up. lol

Thanks for the Idea.

Oh No

20. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Wash your hands with a good strong smelling toothpaste before washing with soap. Works miracles.