How do you bait out your fishing holes?

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by bluesbro, Feb 10, 2006.

1. bluesbro

bluesbro New Member

State:
    tex
    What areas do you select?
    Key factors in selecting a location?
    What depth's?
    What are your favorite ingredients?
    How long before you have to rebait?

2. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    I haven't baited any holes out in couple years since i dont get on a boat much. My dad and me used to drift this old creek bed on Lake Rayrobberts as we drifted we would dump out 2 sacks of range cubes. The next day we would drift down the same creek and wear the channel cats out, there bellies would be full of the rang cubes. I have also used chicken scratch around docks. I take a five gallon bucket fill it with the scratch add water and a can of beer let it sit in the hot sun for about a week, and every time I go fishing id take a coffee can full and dump it around the dock works really good

3. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    One thing about fishing baited holes is that you will uselly only catch eater size channels.

4. etipriga

etipriga New Member

State:
    TX
    I rarely bait ne holes but when i do i just get a bag of maze and soak it in water out in the sun, usually it takes about a week to start kickin. You can also use soaked corn, wheat, etc.(The longer you leave it out the better, just make sure to keep adding a little bit of water after its gets soaked up)
    1 thing though is that you definatly dont want to use your bare hands when spreading it out b/c its pretty much impossible to get the smell of.

5. Thomas P. Conley

Thomas P. Conley New Member

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    Area: Near structure where the current isn't to strong is where I bait. The depth is dictated by the depth of your structure, but I'd not bait over 20 feet. I use inexpensive chicken feed for bait or range cubes which are also cheap. Soak feed in 5 gallon bucket for about 3 days in sun with air holes in bucket so it doesn't burst. I like to bait near cliff's, channel bends, brush or stick ups, rock walls or dams, and bridge, dock, or man made structure. I re-bait about every other day if my holes are productive if not I move to other structure. Some baited holes are better than others it takes a bit to find the better areas. A coffee can full is about enough bait at a time or put in a sack with holes in to attract fish longer. Check daily and never leave hooks in water for long periods of time for this is a sure way to kill fish and waste equipment. Hope this helps.

6. OUTLAW

OUTLAW New Member

State:
    texas
    Look for the trees the Comorants roost in and they'll bait it for you:p . Or we just usually use range cubes from the feed store.

7. catman872

catman872 Member

State:
    missouri
    this might be a dumb question but i have never heard the term range cube, what is this?

8. hobocatfisher

hobocatfisher New Member

State:
    Texas
    Range cubes are brown in color about 5 inches long and cylindrical in shape and are used as a supplement to feed stock animals. Feed stores sell them by the 50lb bag for about $4.00 a bag. Work good for baiting a hole but you will also catch Carp and Drum along with catfish. You can make a dough bait from cubes also.

9. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Do you chum in current or just stillwater?

10. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    ersel,
    Usually it is better to bait in no or very slight current (lakes). If in a river I have never had much luck when there is a swift current. I guess it flushes the area to fast to really work good. When I have baited a hole in stiff current I usually use a burlap bag or plastic container with lots of holes drilled into it. But like I said, I have never had much luck baiting in swift current. Maybe just my bad luck.

Frank

11. jetdocx

jetdocx New Member

State:
    Corinth Tx
    I use soured milo. I put mine out the day before I fish around trees in about 10 feet of water. Then the next day I throw out a little bit just to get them started again on feeding. Lots of good eating size fish.

12. catman872

catman872 Member

State:
    missouri
    I have never tried chumming in a river but a good "chum slick" might be the ticket either that or i have been watching to much shark hunter

13. fishin-crazy

fishin-crazy New Member

State:
    texas
    how do you make a dough bait out of range cubes?

14. 1stpalindrone

1stpalindrone New Member

State:
    Denton, Texas
    I like using canned cat food. Very oily, vewwy, vewwy good for catfish as far as day of fishing chum.. For longer terms I like the filled burlap sack method with whatever nasty I kind find. Last year had good luck with my 8-point carcass, and other spots w/ sour'd milo...:cool:

15. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    hen scratch has milo and corn and wheat and all kind of other stuff in it. wouldnt that be better to use. milo just looks like a bunch of seeds.the river that i fish only flows for about 3 or 4 hours a day due to a dam. i havent tried to bait it yet but i am going to in about a week with hen scratch. i will let you know how that goes. i think i might try to bait at the mouth of a creek running off of the main river. i think that the current wont be bad their.

16. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    cush the range cube into powder and the put a little water in it until it gets thet tecture that you want. just add a little bit a water then stir little bit then stir. i have never used it like this but my freind has. i dont know if he did any good with it or not. it is worth a try

17. Tall1FrTex

Tall1FrTex New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use commercial catfish food to bait out a place for catfish. I get the local feed store to get me the "sinking" kind because most of it floats. It looks like dog food so it is easy to put in your wife's food processor and turn to meal. I then add boiling water and a little Karo syrup to stick it together. You will have to experiment with amount of water and Karo. It still doesn't stick to a treble hood really well but it does OK. The commercial catfish food costs about $15.00 for 50lbs and the 20% range cubes cost about $5.50 for 50lbs so the catfish food is a lot more expensive but 50 lbs is quite a bit. I have never caught any large cats using this method but lots of eating size ones. I usually bait the same place over and over so they get used to going there for a quick meal. The catfish get used to eating the food so they don't hesitate to pick up the dough ball and swallow it. That does present problems as many of them will swallow the hook. I just cut the line and retrieve the hook later when I clean them. Good luck.

18. catfish casanova

catfish casanova New Member

Anyone ever tried to poke a few holes in a can of dog food? An old timer told me that works and gets the cats fired up. Don't know if it's true...

19. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I usually find holes that have a lot of snags. I then bait up and cast right into the snags. After setting the hook on a good solid snag, I'll break the line off and repeat this technique about a dozen times. My fishing hole is now baited.;)

20. oldnndway

oldnndway New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'll tell y'all something that worked real good for me.

I soured a 5 gal. bucket of milo (several weeks ... stunk bad)
    The bucket lid had a pour spouth on it.
    I would take the leg cut off a pair of panty hose and pour milo down the leg (just slip the leg over the pour spout) until it had fattened up nicely for 2 or 3 feet.
    I then tied it in the middle of my trot lines.

I caught real good after doing this .... just about every hook would have something on it.